Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Trying something a little different - I spy again   Show and Tell

Started May-10 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 667 views.

I've not done much novelty sewing lately, so thought I'd get re-acquainted with my stash.  I saw this pattern in Connecting threads and decided to try it with novelties.  Kind of fun.  

judyinohio

May-10

That is a very unusual pattern ... sort of like a flower gone wrong but very appealing. I find it fascinating.  What is it called?

Judy (DJZMOM)

May-11

That IS a very interesting pattern1  Very well done.

LABFIEND

May-11

Interesting!  I like it!!

Mishii

May-11

How fun is that?  You always make me want to work with novelties, but then I remember it stresses me out.

Suze (casuzenn)

May-11

woah...I LIKE that one!!!

In reply toRe: msg 6

thanks.  Why do novelties stress you out, I'm curious.  I didn't like them to start with but then, like  collecting other things, once you start collecting them it's hard to stop.  Collecting novelty fabrics gives my shopping for fabric a focus, a goal.  Then I look at my stash and feel depressed, there is no way I'll ever sew all that in my lifetime.  And someone who doesn't care about them will get them from some thrift shop or off the donation table at the county quilt guild (assuming my cousin takes them there because she doesn't like them either).  sigh. neutral_face

thanks Suze & others.  The idea is from a Keepsake quilting kit (not connecting threads).  It's called "Poppy Poetry Kaleidoscope kit - directions by Vanessa Goertzen of Leila Boutique".  the kit uses some large print fabric of poppies.  I like the optical illusion.  It's pretty easy to sew, I used a 4" square to start, then 2" strips and triangles (4.5" & 2.5" cut, respectively).  I did have to write out a cutting list and I still got confused at the very end and made too many of one block.  It would be easiest to make all of 1 block first, but I was trying to balance the colors of the novelties, so wanted them on the design wall as I went along so I could adjust.  I might make this one again (not in novelties), maybe in black and brights - wouldn't that be FUN!

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

May-13

This is definitely a mesmerizing pattern!  :-)