Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Cutter quilts   General Discussion

Started May-18 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR); 397 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

May-18

Do any of you ever buy cutter quilts?

A long time ago, an acquaintance gave me a stuffed cat made from a cutter quilt (in thanks for something that I had done for her).  I have the stuffed cat in my sewing room.  There's a small paper tag on the back that says, "BOU-KAY  Pieces from the Past / Hand-crafted items from well-loved and well-worn vintage quilts.  Normally, these quilts would have been discarded and considered unusable.   This craft item allows the love and talent of the original maker to be treasured for years to come."

It's backed with contemporary, complimentary fabric and then firmly stuffed.  It's a VERY simple outline pattern .. think cookie cutter outlines.  This cat is about 6" tall, so it isn't very big. 

The (original) hand quilting is very nicely done.  Looking closely at it, I can see that the yellow fabric is hand-appliqued onto the white; the applique stitches are *very* nice.  The yellow fabric also shows signs of wear, which makes me wonder just how much of that quilt was actually salvageable. 

Anyway, I thought I would share this little guy and maybe spark some inspiration.

LABFIEND

May-18

Have two cutter quilts that I rescued when my friend moved from Wisconsin to Colorado.  Haven't done anything with them yet, thought about picture frames, but your cat is cute also.  On the list-LOL

Great way to rescue usable parts of old quilts.

Suze (casuzenn)

May-19

cute!

Cutters are ok if they are not repairable...creating something of the still usable bits is wonderful!

latterberry

May-19

Cute!  I made a stuffed bear out of a quilt that my mom made for one of my kids that they had loved almost to pieces.

I bought a couple of raggedy old quilts at an estate sale, thinking I would use them to "practice" how to repair and restore an old quilt.  They may just become cutter quilts -- although they would probably need to be repaired and restored before I could even use them for that.  haha  Not sure yet if I will even keep them.  They are in need of some serious rehab.  

bornblesse2

May-19

I have not heard of cutter quilts!   But, many, many years ago my sisters found a mostly worn out quilt inside a comforter we had used as girls.  Rather than throw it away, we took what bits were good enough and made bears for each of us sisters. We are sure the quilt had been made by my grandmother!

Suze (casuzenn)

May-19

wow...what a treasure!!