Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Hanging quilts - a different technique   General Discussion

Started May-20 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR); 458 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

May-20

Like everyone else, I have always put a full-length hanging sleeve at the top of my quilts.  The top edge of the sleeve is caught up when I sew on the binding and then I hand sew the bottom edge.  Sometimes, that hand sewing is obnoxious .. but if you want to hang a quilt, you need a sleeve.

Au contraire!!

This video tutorial by Laura Ann Coia (no you won't recognize her name but I bet you're recognize her face and voice!) demonstrates a fantastic alternative to the sleeve technique for hanging your quilts!   She uses triangles of fabric along the top (and bottom) edges.   No, it is NOT putting triangles strictly in the corner so the diagonal edge cuts across the corner.  I've done that technique for small quilts (it works quite nicely).     THIS method is something completely different and appears to work wonderfully well.  

When done, you have two options for hanging your quilt .... one where the end of the hanging rod is exposed on either side of the quilt top (you might have pretty finials to show off) OR you can complete hide the hanging rod behind the quilt.   Either way, you can hang your quilt.   AND you can still enter your quilts in shows because they will be able to thread their PVC pipes (or whatever) through the triangles to hang the quilt.

Best of all, there is MINIMAL hand sewing involved!   Laura also adds that she makes these triangles out of leftover fabrics from the top, so that in the event she needs to repair the quilt, she has the proper fabric to do it.

So, here is the video for you to watch: https://youtu.be/zB1PBQx6mgM

bornblesse2

May-20

Nice!  I might give that a try!

LindaPutt

May-21

What a good idea!  Easy and effective.  Thanks for sharing it with us.  Now to finish a quilt so I can try it.  relaxed

Cathy (cacnurse1)

May-21

Clever.  Easier than what I have done in the past.  I like the suggestion for the bottom of the quilt also.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

May-21

Cathy (cacnurse1) said:

I like the suggestion for the bottom of the quilt also.

I've done that on smaller wall-hangings and it does work.  I put a painter's stir stick (or similar thickness but longer) at the bottom and it gives just enough heft to gently pull the wall-hanging down.   

Heh .. however .. if you haven't been a Good Quilter and there is any waviness in the quilt edges, by pulling down on the bottom, that waviness will appear in the sides.  :-)    

This is a really cool idea and I could see using it especially on the bottom to keep a hanging quilt from getting too friendly (waving at me).

Mishii

May-21

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:

if you haven't been a Good Quilter and there is any waviness in the quilt edges, by pulling down on the bottom, that waviness will appear in the sides.  :-) 

If you aren't a good quilter and no hanging sleeve is magic enough to mask it... you can put it on a stretcher frame and it looks fabulous.  Bonus points for not having to bind it!

Pamjr

May-22

What a great idea. I'll have to file it next to the fabric folding person. I folded a bunch of fat quarters and then several days later tried to remember how I did it. Thank god for Pinterest!

Cathy (cacnurse1)

May-22

Then you remove the stick and blame it on the hanging.wink

Thanks for posting this. I tried it for a wall hanging made from an old quilt and it worked very nicely. Her idea of using left over fabric is nice too. That way you have it available for mending.