Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Looking for the Looky-Lous (and Larrys)   General Discussion

Started May-23 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR); 2151 views.
In reply toRe: msg 1
Samsmom94

Jul-24

I'm here, I apologize for taking so long to post. (Double apologize to Nyla since she made a post like this a while back Last year?).  I saw Misha recently and told her I would try to post more often.  I joined the forum at About.com about 10 years ago as a beginning quilter and VSM enthusiast and followed everyone over here. It seems the machines have taken over more of my life than quilting in the last couple of years, but I'm trying to remedy that. I've finished two quilts this year so far and have at least a dozen more ready to go on the frame when inspiration hits. This quilt was my first large quilt done on my long arm, and my first pantograph. I had embroidered 1" frogs randomly around the top so chose this panto because it looks like pools of water.

Cari

Cari nice to see you post. Looks like you are enjoying your longarm, love your little frogs.

latterberry

Jul-25

Absolutely stunning!

MarciainMD

Jul-25

It's a lovely quilt and the embroidered frogs are fun!

Samsmom94

Jul-26

Thanks Shelley. There's kind of a long bittersweet story to this quilt. I made the top in the fall of 2017 for my Mom. When I put it on the frame it sat there for 14 months. I was paralyzed and could not quilt it for two reasons - 1. I was so scared of screwing it up. I had only ever done meandering on baby quilts and knew this needed something more, but what? And 2. And this was the biggie - the last two quilts I had made for women in my life that I loved, both had died not long after I gave them their quilt. I didn't want my Mom to die. I know it sounds silly but here's how the story goes.

In January of this year I felt an urgency to finish this quilt. I wasn't sure if it really was that or if I was just sick of looking at it, but either way I decided to finish it. It took some time to find just the right panto and then about a week or so to finish the quilt. Right after I finished it my Mom came up to visit me for two weeks. She loved it of course. I even told her about my fears and she said I was silly. But about two weeks after she went home she let us all know how sick she really was and she passed away in her sleep on April 20th. So I wasn't just being silly, I knew.

Cari

Samsmom94

Jul-26

Thanks Ami, my Mom loved frogs. She saw the quilt top before it was finished but didn't notice the frogs and I didn't tell her it was for her. She was really surprised and loved it.

Cari

Samsmom94

Jul-26

Thanks Lynne. It's all Stonehenge fabrics so the colors are much richer and deeper than they look in the pic.

Cari

Samsmom94

Jul-26

Thanks Marcia. I like machine embroidery as much as I like making quilts, so the two come together sometimes.

Cari

MarciainMD

Jul-26

It is a bittersweet story but the sweet part is that you finished the quilt and your Mom loved it.  Just keep that happy thought in your mind.  I'm so sorry you lost her so suddenly.