Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

A REALLY different way to do binding!?!   General Discussion

Started May-25 by Judy (DJZMOM); 550 views.
Judy (DJZMOM)

May-25

All I can say is WOWSERS!  I have never seen or heard of doing binding this way.  I certainly would never come up with it.  Seems more fussy and the need to be VERY accurate but better for some?

What do you think?

https://flourishingpalms.blogspot.com/2009/06/binding-tutorial_12.html?fbclid=IwAR3aUuFNsG4T8gGY2UP9PxkF2jY5gQAnp3WCNj_j2qm8sO8GGCHrdA4ZkkI

judyinohio

May-25

No, thank you.   Not for me.   stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

Mishii

May-25

It is like treating the binding like a border with mitered corners.  I don't understand the need....maybe the author had difficulty folding binding to make mitered corners?

bornblesse2

May-25

They sell a tool to do those markings too.  I did it once and haven’t since.  Might still have the tool too.....who knows.

In reply toRe: msg 3
LABFIEND

May-25

Mishii said:

maybe the author had difficulty folding binding to make mitered corners?

Yeah, that would be me also!!  corners are my downfall, among other things!!

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

May-25

Wow, that seems like a very convoluted way to apply a binding.  There's a LOT of steps, each one requiring exact measurement and pin placement.  Having said that, it must have solved someone's problem otherwise it wouldn't have been thought of.

However, I think I'll stick with the method I currently use, as it works for me.  :-)

Suze (casuzenn)

May-25

I did that on my Fire Mountain bargello..I had pieces of a stripped fabric that I wanted to use and it needed to be just so...

As Ellen says, there is a tool for that...but...a tip my GF told me when she explained this technique is to just use an old envelope... 

Judy (DJZMOM)

May-25

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said...

Wow, that seems like a very convoluted way to apply a binding.  There's a LOT of steps, each one requiring exact measurement and pin placement.  Having said that, it must have solved someone's problem otherwise it wouldn't have been thought of.

However, I think I'll stick with the method I currently use, as it works for me.  :-)

Seems very cumbersome, time consuming and waaaay too exacting for me too.  I will stick to the Pirate way of both making bias binding and for applying.  

http://piraterodgers.com/tutorials/cbt/

I also use the Pirate way for joining the ends.  Works for me every time.

http://piraterodgers.com/tutorials/ending-double-fold-binding/index.htm

But I did find it very interesting and if it works well for that quilter...  more power to them!

Judy (DJZMOM)

May-25

Suze (casuzenn) said...

I did that on my Fire Mountain bargello..I had pieces of a stripped fabric that I wanted to use and it needed to be just so...

As Ellen says, there is a tool for that...but...a tip my GF told me when she explained this technique is to just use an old envelope... 

I'm so glad it worked well for you.  Nice using up those extra strips!

latterberry

May-26

Nope--not for me.  I didn't even complete reading it.  My way will do just fine, thank you.