Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Pain in the neck   Off-Topic Chat

Started May-26 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 391 views.

I need to find a hobby that does not use the same posture as my work.  Computer screen all day for 12 hours, then sewing or jigsaw puzzles.  My shoulders and neck are a wreck. And I was very much enjoying my day sewing up scraps. Until I tried to raise my right arm to get a ruler from a shelf.  Yike, muscle spasms...  I have had problems with my left shoulder since last summer. Even went to physical therapy for 3 months. Now the right one too?  This sucks... whine whine whine

judyinohio

May-26

Dee, my DD gets a massage twice a week without fail. She says she gets knots in her shoulders and back from being at her office computer all day and from the stress of her work. Her physician recommended routine massages (as opposed to taking any medications) for the stress.

Midkid5

May-26

Dee, I to have shoulder and neck issues that are caused by work and stress.  Judy's suggestion of massages is a great one just know that you may hurt more the day after but in the long run it's worth it.

I would also suggest a sit to stand desk.  When I finally got one I couldn't believe the difference, I can stand and do computer work for hours verse sitting maybe an hour and having issues.  If this is an opposition make sure you get a motorized any level one, I can sit, stand or even knee on a chair with the one I have and the whole desk moves not just the computer.

Jo

In reply toRe: msg 3
CozyQuilts

May-26

Dee, 

I have chronic fatigue syndrome with pain in my right shoulder.  I found nerve flossing, you can google it, really helps.  It's a matter of stretching your whole body and that relieves the pain.  I also just started water aerobics and find that sitting in the spa for 15 minutes before starting exercising really hits the spot and it melts away and no pain after that.  Just stretch from the top of your head to your toes a few times a day and it really feels good.  Good luck.

Suze (casuzenn)

May-26

when my neck feels cranky...I find the muscle along the top-back of the shoulder is tight....reach up with your other hand and press hard into that muscle with a couple of finger tips and hold (you can vibrate/wiggle your fingers a bit if you like)...sometimes you will feel the tight muscle 'give' and it should go soft....that is what you are after...pain after that is minimal...

judyinohio

May-26

I was mistaken .... DD gets a massage once a week.

Judy (DJZMOM)

May-27

Oh no!  Does massage, heating pad or prescription for muscle relaxer help?  I'm so sorry.

Solution:  Gotta be to cut the hours at work!

Cut hours at work, that would be the obvious solution. But easier said than done.  Interesting times at work right now.