Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What Did We Do Before The Internet??   General Discussion

Started May-30 by judyinohio; 743 views.
judyinohio

May-30

I've been watching the message thread between Sue in Illinois and other forum members as Sue's request for "mountain fabric" has been bouncing around between people in various states who are trying to help her out with bits and pieces of fabric with her mountain theme. Quilters do like to share.  relaxed  (Don't have any mountain fabric myself or I would have chimed in.)

This and one other thing has made my mind wander down the road of "What did we do before the internet?"

My DD gave me a neat little spiral bound book for Mother's Day with the title of INTERNET PASSWORD LOGBOOK . I have been transferring password information from an old spiral bound Cleveland Metroparks Zoo book I've had for years that had gotten kinda messy. I've enjoyed the process of updating the information and I've recalled some things I had forgotten:

I joined the predecessor of this forum on June 5, 1999 (about ten months after I got my first computer).  The changeover to this forum happened on June 18, 2009, according to my note in my old notebook.

After flipping through the pages of my old notebook I was reminded that I bought the iMac that I'm using to type this message on July 20, 2009, which makes it a veritable dinosaur. It is still working just fine and since I'm just a little old lady who makes quilts and looks for polymer clay information I see no reason to buy a new one. wink

Anyhow, my point is, thanks to the wonders of the computer age we have friends all over the country who can come to our rescue when we need bits of fabric to complete a project or help in finding just the right fabric for backing a quilt or whatever. (I recall when it used to be friends all over the world but that seems to have changed ... )

MarciainMD

May-30

Yes, the internet has put us closer to people we otherwise would never know.  There are many bad things about the internet, but the friendships made on it are wonderful.

The internet is awesome and awful. I focus on the good parts. If you need information you google or find a youtube video about it. Amazing the information we have at our fingertips in an instant. It is fun to converse with and keep up with people all over the world.

I wish I could have helped with the mountain fabrics but I do not really have things like that in my stash, maybe next time.

latterberry

May-31

Yes, the internet is a wondrous thing.  Information at our fingertips, ability to stay in touch with friends, and make new friends.  I don't remember the year we got it, but it was dial up and you would have to dial up then walk away to do dishes or something and come back to see if you had connected!  Now it is just seconds.  But along with the good comes some worrisome aspects.  We need to discern what we read is factual or not.  Sadly, many folks think that if they read it on the internet it is true.  As a former educator, I noticed that students weren't retaining knowledge because " I don't need to remember that--I'll just google it if I need to,"  My biggest concern is social media.  Although it is amazing and wonderful that we can all meet new folks from all over the country or world, I think it is destroying our ability to be physically social.  I noticed at school that kids would text like crazy, but were getting poorer at looking a person in the eye and actually talking to them face to face.  We went to dinner the other night and we were the only table that didn't have a phone out.  My rule--no phone at the table!  One table looked to be two parents, two kids and a grandma.  Grandma was the only one not on a phone.  One of the kids even had on headphones ad playing a game.  I so badly wanted to go rip them off his head and tell him to talk to grandma.  OK, sermon over.

bornblesse2

May-31

On the local news here yesterday they were visiting a restaurant here, that encourages no phones at their tables.  The owner was one of ten children so grew up with lots and lots of time spent at the table!  From talk, to eating, to games and projects. And so his restaurant encourages that.  

I thought that was neat.  But it’s a shame that we are so addicted!

In reply toRe: msg 1
sueinIL

May-31

Thanks to two generous, quilters, I will have  two mountain fabrics to incorporate into my quilt.  That will be great fun! 

The internet is like an infinite network of dixie cups and string. (I know, you have to be old to know what that means).  Our quilting group here is one of the best.  Every now and then I check in to a knitting message board that is definitely not as nice.  Posters regularly flame someone who has asked a " stupid" question. After about 3 legitimate, helpful responses, the personal attacks start and it all goes downhill from there. It feels like we all *know* each other here, and I have never seen a scathing response from anyone.

we are goooood!

Sue in IL

CC (ccase5)

Jun-3

Yes, i started swapping internationally about 1999. Still have two daily email friends in other Countries. Love that.
although I am an old curmudgeon about electronics, they are with us to stay. I do worry about too many electronics in our homes and lives though. No one seems to think that is bad, yet.
CC (ccase5)

Jun-3

Oh Sue, that is where moderators come in. flaming is not acceptable, at all. everyone else should jump on those who need it!!
sueinIL

Jun-3

I got the impression they had done without a moderator for quite some time and were sort of policing each other and putting the uncivil ones on ignore. I read through entire strings just to see who said what, and it got rather uncomplimentary, to say the least.

Sue in IL

CC (ccase5)

Jun-5

The ability to hide or not tell who you are on the Internet is most of the problem. I think most of these people wouldn't dare say bad things in person I bet. We just need to shrug them off and go about our day-quilting!!