Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Trying to remember tote bag name   General Discussion

Started Jun-8 by sueinIL; 367 views.
sueinIL

Jun-8

A few years ago, there was a very popular tote bag made of squares.  They were done on point and then were sewn in kind of an odd way to make a fairly large bag.  I saw one today and thought it might be good to take on our trip in August.  Anyone remember it?  It's probably on pinterest, but I don't know what to call it.

Sue in IL

I don't know the name of it but I made one two weeks ago at my quilt guild sew day. I used to carry things back and forth to the hospital. I used jelly roll strips in rail fence pattern. I can send you a copy of the pattern as it was written by a member. Just private message your address to me. You can also use squares.

I got lots of complements for it at the hospital.

Mary

judyinohio

Jun-8

I think you are remembering the Schlep bag which is great for schleping stuff around.  I made several of those years ago for my DDIL to haul home groceries; she's big on that kind of stuff.

https://sentimentalstitches.net/free-stuff/schlep-bag/

sueinIL

Jun-8

Thank you, Judy!  The name immediately clicked.  The one I saw today had a thin batting, I think, so it wasn't too schlepy, and I'd probably use smaller squares. Time to scroll through pinterest.

Sue in IL

judyinohio

Jun-8

When you make the "real" Schlep bag you do not use any batting at all. That way it folds up into a very small bundle and fits nicely in a coat pocket.

sueinIL

Jun-8

Ah, I didn't know that! I remember I made some fold-up bags for a retreat gift one year.  They ended up as a little pillow folded up on itself and tucked in, kind of like those quillow quilts that were popular then.I

Thanks for the information, 

Sue in IL

When I saw you post I knew it had to be a schlep bag. We made them at a VOS retreat many years ago. I was sitting across from Lindale Hoo. She decided to make a teeny tiny version for Zelda the stuffed zebra that was sent by a forum member who could not attend in person. I think Linda''s bag was about 2-3 inches tall....goes to show you can make them any size.

Mishii

Jun-9

I'm glad you asked about this.  I have a lot of orphan blocks that I think will be put to good use as schlep bags.  I also need some bags as I don't have very many.

Thanks for the link whoever posted it!

In reply toRe: msg 8
judyinohio

Jun-9

You are most welcome, Mishii.  Have fun schlepping!

MarciainMD

Jun-9

Judy, thank you for sharing the link.  I was just thinking about making some shopping bags and this pattern will be great as well as using up some stash!