Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Comparison: starch, sizing, alternatives   General Discussion

Started Jun-9 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR); 288 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jun-9

Here is a very interesting article which compares the pros/cons between starch, sizing, and alternatives (Best Press, Terial Magic, Flatter)

https://thecraftyquilter.com/2018/07/what-type-of-spray-starch-to-use-for-quilting/

That was an interesting article. I usually use spray starch if the fabric needs it. I don't pre-wash either.

Julie Cefalu is the woman who designed the Elephant and I that I made from the challenge fabric and sent to the retreat in Phoenix last year. That used the smallest pieces I have ever sewn with.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jun-9

I've mentioned this before but I love, love, love Magic Sizing.  At 97¢/can at Walmart, I can spray everything!    If I want the fabric to be a "bit stiffer", I'll use multiple light sprays.

I have used Best Press and it is *very nice* but dang it .. it's waaaaaay too expensive.  I found myself debating if "this seam" was worthy enough of using Best Press on, in order to stretch its use.  At that point, I smacked myself upside the head and stopped buying Best Press.

I now also use Terial Magic when I want to use fabric in my die cutting machine or my electronic cutter, since it's best to have the fabric as stiff as paper for those machines.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jun-10

Interesting.  Didn't think about being able to cut fabric easier and more accurately when it is stiff.  I'll be keeping that in mind.

Mishii

Jun-11

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:

I found myself debating if "this seam" was worthy enough of using Best Press on, in order to stretch its use. 

OMG I do the same thing!  I still have the little bottle we got in our goody bags at retreat a couple of years ago.  I find myself bypassing it so I "don't waste it".  Ugh

I prefer to buy the liquid starch and dilute it in a cheap spray bottle.  If I'm doing a project that needs stiffer fabric, I can just add a bit more.