Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Puzzles, mazes, novelty fabrics and quilting - these are a few of my favorite th   Show and Tell

Started Jun-17 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 691 views.

I plan to do a blog page on this eventually, but in the mean time here is the cliff notes version:

I am still using up those precuts - I noticed that when I sorted them by color most of them were white, beige or tan.  What to do with all those whites?  Well how about a white maze on a black background.  I always loved mazes as a child, much more fun than those awful crossword puzzles - bleck.  Always the visual kid.  It was fun figuring out how to lay this out so the maze wasn't too easy and minimized the black spaces.  Sewing it was interesting too.  I didn't want to cut all the blacks into squares so I did it in sections where I could use long strips of black where possible.  Lots of back and forth to the design wall.  And I wanted to make it obvious where the maze started and stopped.  I think I'll add an applique Start and End before I quilt it.  I might even be able to find those words on some fabric somewhere in my stash.  hmmm.

Suze (casuzenn)

Jun-17

gosh, that is clever!! well done!

judyinohio

Jun-17

I am dumbfounded by your cleverness!  Struck speechless (almost).

How can one quiltmaker be so doggoned clever?!?!?!?  kissing_smiling_eyes

I can see a kiddo dragging a tiny Lego critter along the maze, muttering to the critter as it runs into a wall ....

gosh, blushing here.  I'm just hoping who ever gets the quilt figures out what it's supposed to be.  I think I'm going to add a line to my normal label poem that references the maze in addition to the ABC's.  I may hang it in my office for a while first - though it's not really "pretty".

I've been doing more jigsaw puzzles lately (as you know) and it's really obvious that the part of my brain that likes jigsaws is that same part that likes quilting.  The sorting, arranging, problem solving, the tactile quality of handling the pieces/fabrics - visual, spacial, etc.  Someone ought to do a thesis on this.... relaxed

thank you dear.  I scribbled on graph paper for several days before I got it like I wanted.  The funny part was a few days after I finished I was looking through a folder with various old ideas/instructions in it and found an earlier version I started several years ago.  This one is much better.  That one just had "walls" between the novelty fabrics made from narrow strips of solid fabric and the pieces were much larger/blocky, something like this.  I think I gave up because I didn't like the idea of sewing in those narrow strips.

MarciainMD

Jun-17

That's a clever idea for a quilt!  It should be a lot of fun for some kiddo.

sueinIL

Jun-17

That's a very cute and interactive quilt, Dee! Some little one will love it!

Sue in IL

judyinohio

Jun-17

Silly Dee.

The quilt is Pretty Amazing.

sueinIL

Jun-17

I'm going to hijack this thread for just one post.  Since you mentioned Legos, Judy.  We took 2 grandsons--ages 6 and 4-- to a museum exhibit called Art of the Brick.  It was an entire collection of Lego sculptures from a full-size Julius Caesar statue and the Mona Lisa artwork, to a "simple" red ball and silver jacks.  Maybe 50 or so in the exhibit.  It was fabulous!  Each model had a note that said how many individual Legos were used.  The Tyrannosaurus Rex had over 80,000 pieces. It boggled the mind!

OK, rejoining the preceding thread in progress.

Sue in IL