Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Diagonal zig zag quilt   General Discussion

Started Jun-19 by sueinIL; 271 views.
sueinIL

Jun-19

For some reason, all I'm finding as layouts for a zig zag quilt run horizontally or vertically, but I want them to " step" diagonally. I want to use up more national park fabrics, so I'll use them as "color," with a birch bark print for the background.  Do I just need to get out the graph paper?

Sue in IL

Graph paper is great to figure out how to put stuff together 

latterberry

Jun-20

is this kind of like you were looking for?

Image result for diagonal zig zag quilt pattern

sueinIL

Jun-20

Hi, Lynne!  Yes, I think so.  Each block is made of two pieces, half color, half background.  I guess it's the way they are set that determines the orientation of the zig  zag.  It starts out as two strips sewn together, then subcut into the number of squares you can get out of the strip.   Easy peasy, you'd think,  no triangles!  Patterns I found online were all up and down or across settings. Must have been a bad brain day for diagonal sets!  Thank you!

Sue in IL

latterberry

Jun-21

You are welcome.  And you are right--the block i easy peasy and all you have to do is look at the photo for the layout.  Some time it is great to work on an easy one with no triangles or trimming.