Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Chart of thread thicknesses by brand   General Discussion

Started Jun-21 by sueinIL; 350 views.
sueinIL

Jun-21

Some time ago, didn't someone find a chart that compared the thicknesses of various brands of thread ? Such as how thick Coats and Clark thread is compared to Superior or Aurifil?  I'm having difficulty getting sewn strips to measure a certain width, and thinking maybe the thread is part of the problem.

Sue in IL

Suze (casuzenn)

Jun-21

ooh...that would be a great chart to have...

sueinIL

Jun-21

I know I've seen it, and I thought it was here.  I've spent half a morning looking online, but nothing I've found provides brand names as well as weight of thread.

Sue in iL

judyinohio

Jun-21

So why don't you just work with the piecing threads offered by Aurifil  (50 wt. on orange spool) or Superior (Masterpiece) and find the solution with either of those?  Superior Threads suggests using Masterpiece in the bobbin and an 80/12 Topstitch needle for piecing work.

IMHO you have wasted a lot of time chasing after a chart if you already have those excellent piecing threads on hand.

sueinIL

Jun-21

Judy, I have only C & C,  and a few Gutermann's, but would buy Aurifil or Superior if they are finer (more fine?) than those are.  Never had a problem before now, but I am really noticing what a difference the thread could make.  What is that saying about "too late smart"?

Sue in IL

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jun-21

I can tell you from personal experience that Aurifil is a LOVELY thread to stitch with, both hand sewing and machine.  The only drawback (for me) is that a spool is so darned expensive.  It kills me to pay $12 for a spool of thread.

Ditto with Superior's Masterpiece, although I do economize on the price by purchasing a cone instead of a spool.  Unless it's a very specific color that I probably wouldn't use in piecing, then I'd get a spool.

judyinohio

Jun-21

If you piece block seams with thread in the color of house dust (a pale grey or soft beige) it will work for just about everything except maybe navy blue or black fabric.  A large spool of Aurifil's 50 wt. or Superior's Masterpiece will last a long time if you remember to use it only for piecing.  That thread is not suitable for quilting a quilt.

Ask for spools of piecing thread for your birthday, as Christmas stocking stuffers , Mother's Day gifts or a gift card purchase if you cannot rationalize the expense any other way.

And in case you are married, ask yourself does the man in your life quibble over the cost of drill bits or fishing lures or golf balls?   LOL

judyinohio

Jun-21

Those finer piecing threads have an awful lot of yardage on a spool, dear Pirate.  They are extremely well-made threads and there's a lot of "mileage" so to speak. 

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jun-22

judyinohio said:

Those finer piecing threads have an awful lot of yardage on a spool

That's very true but I can generate a LOT of tops ... and they're not small ones, either!   I will stockpile ecru/med gray for almost all piecing although for white or black fabrics, I use those colors.   I've always had very good quality with Superior's Masterpiece and that's what I buy in cones.  Those last a LONG time.  :-)

Now quilting is another matter entirely.  I *love* having colors to quilt with.  :-)

bornblesse2

Jun-22

Shelley!  While that one spool of Aurifil is $12. Or $13.  Did you know that you were purchasing 1500 meters?  That one spool is almost 3xs  as much as thread as one large Mettler spool which is $8. Or $9....... and much nicer to wind a bobbin and sew like the wind!