Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Deluged by Spam Email's in my Earthlink.net Email Account on Home Computer   Off-Topic Chat

Started Jun-27 by judyinohio; 1142 views.
judyinohio

Jun-27

Ever since I bought my first home computer (a cute Bondi Blue iMac) in 1998 I have used an Earthlink.net email for my personal emailing and for online shopping. I have been faithfully paying a monthly fee for this email account because I love its SpamBlocker feature that has, until 2019, been an excellent way of keeping junk mail out of my inbox.

But something has broken at Earthlink and my Inbox is getting swamped, deluged, overwhelmed by emails that should have been filtered out by the SpamBlocker.  I won't bore you with details of what kinds of emails I am getting just that I am disgusted by what they are offering ...

Is this recent flood of spam bursting through blocking walls phenomenon happening only with Earthlink?

Is it time for me to cancel my Earthlink account and go elsewhere?  

If so, where?

I do have a mac.com account that I use with a few select friends and family members and which I never ever use with retail transactions.  The mac.com account has remained spam free all the years I have had it because I have sheltered it, I guess.  I shudder to think of using this private, protected email with something like Amazon or Delphos or any other company that will share it with  their "partners".

P.S.  I cannot believe I put an apostrophe in the title of my thread. Mrs. Elizabeth J. Agnew (my high school English teacher) is rolling in her grave.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jun-27

what about a gmail account?  They're free.  

Mishii

Jun-27

gmail.  I rarely get spam.

In reply toRe: msg 3
Suze (casuzenn)

Jun-27

third vote for gmail...

but....its Google...and who knows what they are up to

it is pretty spam free

Midkid5

Jun-27

Have you contacted EarthLink, I have had to contact my email provider a time or two regarding some spam.  They have been able to block the emails once they knew they were getting thru.

Jo

judyinohio

Jun-27

I certainly have contacted Earthlink.

The first time I contacted them and actually spoke with a person (who had an Asian accent of some kind) the problem was fixed for about four or five weeks but now it has come roaring back. I do everything I can to manually report the spam items and try to block the spam domains but they are coming so "fast and furious", changing one character in the domain's address, etc., that it is rather like a mudslide of some kind and it is impossible to keep up with.

I think Earthlink has an enemy out there on the Internet.

judyinohio

Jun-27

A friend told me that you get advertising with a gmail account.  I am not interested in advertising with my emails.

In reply toRe: msg 3
judyinohio

Jun-27

With Earthlink.net I went from 1998 until just a few months ago with zero spam in my Inbox. 

Of course, I paid a monthly fee for this luxury but it was worth it. I also pay for AdBlockerPlus on Firefox. I'm cranky that way .... I want "peace and quiet" on my desktop computer.  stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

That's why I am so p....d off about Earthlink's SpamBlocker not working any more.

Suze (casuzenn)

Jun-28

the ads are not intrusive on gmail..just single lines at the top of your folders...clearly marked with AD...they are not in your face type of ads and you can ignore them

I have yahoo too...and their ads are sometimes obnoxious...but the spam filter on yahoo is pretty good too..I 'think' they have a paid version that knocks out the ads...

In reply toRe: msg 9
CozyQuilts

Jun-28

I have both a gmail and yahoo accounts and neither one have given me any trouble with spam.  If I do have any, I just mark it as spam and no more issues.  I vote for either yahoo or gmail.  By the way, I have a yahoo account because I have AT&T as my carrier.

Judy, have you contacted earth link to see if they can help you?  Sometimes the spam is not from the senders necessarily but you may have a lurker in your system that could've taken control of your account.  You can go to Microsoft and they have help links on how to get rid of them.  I had that happen to me about 10 years ago and I had to go into my system and clear it out and change accounts.  Try this and see if it helps:  https://support.earthlink.net/articles/policy-procedures/how-to-report-fraud-junk-and-spam-emails.php.  Maybe they can help.

Good luck!