Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

old ties   Quilting Swaps - Unsewn

Started Jul-10 by latterberry; 210 views.
latterberry

Jul-10

For those of you that have old ties that you were going to someday make into a quilt but never got around to it.  I thought this was cute.

No photo description available.

judyinohio

Jul-10

Very cute idea.

Should we assume those are cotton ties?

Or silk ties used for a "show" apron for the lady of the manor who will stand around ordering the servants to do this and that?   wink

Suze (casuzenn)

Jul-11

if its a functional apron, those would be polyester ties...

judyinohio

Jul-11

That's right! had not thought about those.

latterberry

Jul-11

Too funny.  I never have worn an apron, but I do have a few vintage ones that hang from shelf with hooks in my kitchen.  I don't remember my mom wearing one either, but all the other old ladies in my family did.  Don't think I ever saw my grandmother without one on.  

judyinohio

Jul-11

My mom's mother always wore the pinafore style apron ... always.

But then she was the best cookie-baker, pie-maker, noodle-roller-outer I ever knew. There was always flour flying around in the air in her kitchen and her pinafore style apron was always dusted with flour. Her shape reflected her skill. LOL  Of course, I only saw her one week of the year so perhaps she went into overdrive during our annual visit.

This is the style apron I remember her wearing: formerly bright prints with colorful bindings, she made them herself and all of them were faded from much laundering. Grandma's had huge pockets in the front.

I own two aprons and I wear one of them when I am making noodles. 

My aprons have "messages".   I'D RATHER BE PLAYING SCRABBLE  is on one apron and

LADIES' SEWING CIRCLE AND TERRORIST SOCIETY  is on the second one.

Perhaps I should look for a pattern for a pinafore apron like Cecil Miller's because I am very messy when I make noodles.

P.S.   One thing about being "spied on" when you post messages on the forum – when I went to Google to check on pinafore apron patterns Nancy's Notions popped up with a perfect pattern for a lined pinafore apron which is an improvement on my grandma's. It will be two layers of fabric so I won't have to put on allllll of that binding and I'll be doubly protected from messes filtering through.  Yep, I ordered the pattern.