Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Trip to Washington D.C.   Off-Topic Chat

Started Jul-11 by Cathy (cacnurse1); 756 views.
Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jul-11

Just got home from a trip to Washington D.C.  I hadn't been in years.  We saw so much of our history.  We went with our son and his family.  The DGKs are 10 and 12, a good age to explore our Capitol.  We were able to tour the East Wing of the White House.  It was a self-guided tour.  I would have learned more with a guide.  Lovely paintings, portraits, chandeliers, rugs, and on and on. 

We visited the Mall and saw the Vietnam Wall.  It was not as I had pictured it.  All of the names were where they could be seen w/o a ladder.  There was a volunteer there who saw Bob looking for the name of his roommate who had been killed.  She helped him find it and then took out paper an a pencil and did a rubbing of the name for him.  What a wonderful thing for her to do.  Then we saw the Korean War Memorial, Martin Luther King Memorial  and Washington and Lincoln  Memorials. 

Next was the Smithsonian Aviation and Space Museum.  They have a small area for the Challenger disaster.  Reminded me of where I was and what I was doing when it happened.  Saw it all on TV. We mostly Ubered from the  hotel to the sites but rented a car 1 day and went to the Arlington National Cemetery to see the changing of the guard.  Truly an impressive ceremony.  The site of all of the graves was sobering. 

Monday we had a tour of the Capitol by one of our congressman's interns.  I think it was my favorite.  The Capitol Rotunda is a site to behold.  Much of it was rebuilt after the building was burned down during the War of 1812.  We were able to go into the House of Representatives chambers.  They were not in session.  The Senate was closed because they were not in session and their rules keep it closed then.

In the afternoon we saw the Museum of Natural History and the Holocaust Museum.  We were actually able to sit down and talk to 2 Holocaust survivors about their experiences.  Amazing that some are saying that the Holocaust didn't happen.  

I put more steps on my FitBit than I have since I got it.  I have a bruised toe from the walking.  We ended each day tired but glad we were there to see  what we saw.  There is still much we didn't get to.  Maybe there will be another time.  If you get the opportunity, go.  Our Capitol is amazing.

Sorry this is so long.

latterberry

Jul-12

It's been over 40 years since I was there, but truly a sight to see.  Everyone should see it once.  

Cathay your trip sounds.Amazing. I was lucky enough to tag along on a business trip with Mark 5 years ago and spent 3 days seeing things. Truly amazing place. Bet it was really good to be able to share with family.

MarciainMD

Jul-12

Since we live fairly close to the District, we've been able to take our time over the years and visit all the memorials and museums gradually.  It's time we started revisiting the sites.  I've seen the Vietnam memorial several times and it still greatly impacts me.  The Holocaust Museum was also deeply moving.  Meeting two survivors must have been an exceptional experience for you.  I'm glad you had such a memorable visit to our Capitol.

Midkid5

Jul-12

Cathy

Glad you enjoyed your trip.  Washington DC does have lots to see, have been there twice,80s and 90s.  Our kids were about the age of your GK and we only had two days.  We did get to see the White House, at that time you stood in line to get tickets with no choice of time, and than you stood in line waiting for the group with that ticket time to walk thru the WhiteHouse. It was worth the wait.

We were exhausted when it was time to leave the city, our son really wanted to see the Lincoln Memorial which was in the opposite direction of the car.  DH decided we would go to the car, he would drive to it and drop the kids and me off, circle around and pick us up.  He figured about twenty minutes but at least DS would get an up close look.  You can image that after a hour we were starting to get concerned.  Due to construction DH wasn't just able to circle around like he should of been, he got to see a bit of Virgina.

Jo

In reply toRe: msg 5
Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jul-12

If we are able, I would love to go back when it is not quite so hot.  Looking at the history is amazing.

sueinIL

Jul-12

Never too long!  I love to hear about others' trips!  We haven't been to Washington in a long time, but I remember how beautiful it was around the Bicentennial.  Going north and west this time--Banff and Glacier.  Already have scouted the quilt shops!

Sue in IL

bornblesse2

Jul-13

Cathy, glad you had such a great time!  I know you were concerned about keeping up and the walking!  I’m glad your back and neck didn’t hold you back much.

i have been to the capital.  There is so much to see.  I hear you can spend days in the Smithsonian.  Maybe one day..,,

Midkid5

Jul-13

I could not remember what I heard about the time it would take to see all the exhibits at the Smithsonian.  Looked it up and found...if you spend one minute at each exhibit it would take 258 years to see all, it did not say if this was taking into account the hours the museums are open.

Jo

Mishii

Jul-13

It sounds amazing.  Thank you for sharing!