Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Has Anyone Here Made Miniature Quilts?   General Discussion

Started Jul-25 by judyinohio; 758 views.
judyinohio

Jul-25

Screwed up my courage to start stitching on my gaudy "Hot to Trot" quilt that DD and I had begun to load on Lily Aurora on Mother's Day weekend. We had put the fabrics on the rails but that was all we got done before it was time for DD to skedaddle back to her home in the big city.

So I went down in the basement and crammed the batting in between the fabric layers and tugged it into position. Pinned batting into place. By then my hands were hurting and so was my left shoulder. Turned Lily Aurora on, put the new cone of thread on Lily and got the needle threaded. Got stuff organized so I could get down on my knees and load the bobbin (pillow to kneel on, chair next to pillow to hold flashlight, pre-wound bobbin with red thread, oil for bobbin case, lint brush). 

It is NOT FUN to load a bobbin in Lily Aurora. These days it is a sweaty painful job because my knees are complaining, my shoulder is bellyaching and my neck is adding to the chorus. I needed to call my DD and tell her to come back here for this one minute job of loading the bobbin – oh, darn, she has a job in the big city and she would not appreciate the interruption.

Bobbin is finally in place.

I use the chair to hoist myself back up to standing position and then sit in the chair and say to self "You are done, sister. Time to get a new quilting hobby."

I stitch about halfway across the top of the batting, check under the quilt using the flashlight and a mirror to verify that the tension is good and then call it a day.  Time to go upstairs and think about finding something in the freezer for supper.

So I've been thinking. After I quilt this "Hot to Trot" beauty I think I am not going to want to quilt anything that big again on Lily unless DD is home to load the bobbin for me. She visits us about every five or six weeks or so and that's a reasonable idea but .....

If I want to do something besides polymer clay all the time what quilty thing can I make? Placemats? Don't want to go back to making small color wheels again. 

How about miniature quilts?  How difficult are those?  Do they drive people batty, cramming 1000 pieces into a 10" x 12" rectangle?  I already know that I love foundation piecing so maybe most miniature quilts require foundation piecing, right?

Okay, forum members, help me out here.  stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

Went browsing on Amazon and this looks like a good book.  Do any of you have this book?

Teeny-Tiny Quilts: 35 Miniature Projects • Tips & Techniques for Success Paperback – April 7, 2018

by Donna Lynn Thomas

Suze (casuzenn)

Jul-26

no..don't have that book but I will tell you, miniatures are as much work as their larger counterparts...and some of them have teeny seams (typically 1/8 inch)

I'd try a wee four patch or two before you leap into miniatures.... 1 inch or 1 1/2 inch squares... and see if you like the wee size...

bornblesse2

Jul-26

Judy, I do t know that book, but I have made some miniatures.

They take some patience.  And they take as much time as a large quilt - dont be fooled by their  size. 

If you want to pp them- which is often easier!- I suggest buying an Add-an-Eighth ruler!  Most likely you have used an Add-A-Quarter ruler when pping. For minis, you need the eighth” seam. 

I have couple books on minis, and a few old magazines on them.  Not sure when I might get back to them.

give them a try!

judyinohio

Jul-26

Thanks for your reply, Ellen.

I have oodles of patience, always have had that. Eyesight is still excellent except in the evening when eyes get tired.

I think I'll order that book and use some of my leftover batiks from my color wheel days and give a miniature quilt a whirl. (Pun intended.)

bornblesse2

Jul-26

I think you will have fun giving it a try, but no one forwarded me how time consuming they are for small things.  But now you know.... you have time and patience, a stash to work from!  Go for it.

A few things to know....smaller seam allowance help with bulky areas....but mostly sew with quarter inch seams and trim down.

accuracy becomes even more important, so don’t rush a job.

start with a simpler or familiar pattern. Don’t rush headlong into new and complex.  You’ll be happier if you get a feel for working on minis

5dogmom (CRISR5)

Jul-26

Ouch, Judy!

I don't really make miniature quilts, but I do quilt small -- American Girl doll size.  The square in square is from 2" blocks, same with the bow tie, and the log cabin is 3" logs surrounding a 6" cabin block.

Other ideas for your consideration.

Cris in MT

Samsmom94

Jul-26

Connecting Threads always has a few miniature or really small quilt kits for sale. A few years ago they had a monthly mini quilt kit thing going on and I got them all. I've done several of them and they're fun to do! So this is an option anyway, just sayin.....

Cari

judyinohio

Jul-26

Hey, Cris, those are small enough to make me happy!  The log cabin is ringing my chimes for sure.

I'm not going to split hairs about the difference between miniature and small quilts. I really like what you just showed me and I guess I will go look up the definition of what's what in the world of quilt sizes.

I just need to reorganize my thinking away from making couch quilts that need to be quilted on Lily Aurora and yet I don't want to make baby quilts either. (Did enough of those in my Project Linus days.) I want to make something that will be reasonably easy for me to work with but still interesting.

Here's hoping that the cortisone shot in my shoulder will stop it from being so painful.

judyinohio

Jul-26

Samsmom94 said:

Connecting Threads

Thank you, Cari, for that suggestion!  I'm off to see what's for sale there now.

MarciainMD

Jul-26

Good luck with your small quilts Judy.  It's a great idea.  You can continue quilting but without the pain and hassle of a big quilt.  I hope the cortisone shot helps your shoulder.