Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Intl Quilt Festival coming Back to CA   General Discussion

Started Aug-1 by Judy (DJZMOM); 628 views.
Judy (DJZMOM)

Aug-1

Just announced!  Intl Quilt Festival will be back in Long Beach CA in 2020!!!  
The dates will be July 9-11, 2020 details will be shared "soon"!

I was scheduled to attend and meet some friend there in 2008.  In fact, for Mother's Day that year my DH and DS had given me the money and hotel & airline reservations to go!  I was very excited.  Then I became ill with a variety of issues that turned out to be a mysterious Lupus flare and I was in the hospital for 3 weeks in May/June.  I was finally was discharged home and was working on building my strength for the trip.  But my DH and I had to make a decision for me to not attend and to stay home to continue to recover from the flare and hospital stay.  I canceled all the arrangements and kind of pouted but knew that was for the best.  Turns out it was a blessing.  On July 17th - when I was scheduled to be in a Long Beach hotel room by myself - I had a stroke.  It was finally determined the stroke was also a part of the Lupus flare causing vasculitis.  Had I been by myself in that hotel room I would not have gotten the immediate medical attention I needed with the Drs who were in on the previous month's complicated case issues.  

Soooo...  I share all of that so I can be reminded to celebrate my journey from where I have come and what I've had to learn to do differently.  Back those 11 years ago I just wanted to be "back to normal" and be a wife, mom, friend and quilter I used to be.  Everything in my life and body is not - and never will be - back to what "normal".  I'll always have balance, walking, fine motor skills in my dominant right hand and other issues I've learned to deal with as I get tired during the days and as I grow older.  But I have learned to appreciate what I can do in a "new or different" way and have learned and grown in many things.  Many of you here have been on this journey with me and I have so cherished this forum and the lifetime friends I've made here.  Thanks to each of you for cheering me along to get back to sewing - even if it was only a 4 patch block! 

Who else might consider attending the Intl Quilt Festival in Long Beach in July 2020?  Let's begin saving our $$ now and maybe consider getting together for a Forum lunch or dinner!!!

Suze (casuzenn)

Aug-1

whoohoo...

I went one year..don't quite remember which one though...

it does mean the Quilter's Run will likely get moved again...probably to back to June....cuz that was the first weekend of the Run this year..the two groups don't really like having two events on the same weekend - most of the shops will likely be vendors...

Longbeach 2020......humm. Might be fun. Thinking.

viola (sissly4)

Aug-2

I have been there twice.First time by my self.I took a friend with me from Tuscon and she stay with her son.I stayed in the motel.The next year I met AMI at the airport.And Kim and her sister from AL.We all stay on the Queen Mary Ship.Hope I can go again.

Kay Ahr (KayAhr65)

Aug-8

It has been in Cincinnati then Chicago for a decade or more.  It was a great one-day bus trip with a local quilt shop or the guild.  Long Beach and a looong is from Indianapolis.  Enjoy!

judyinohio

Aug-8

But California already has biggie quilt shows .. I seem to recall Road to California is one that forum members talk about a lot and then I'm sure that their large metro area have others.

The midwest had been sort of a quilt show desert until the IQF came to visit.

Kay Ahr (KayAhr65)

Aug-8

The midwest has Paducah.  It's just over the river from Illinois.  Shipshewana isn't as big as Paducah, but a big event in NE Indiana almost in Michigan.

Kay Ahr (KayAhr65)

Aug-8

California also has (or had) Pacific International in Santa Clara.  I went there a few times when I lived in Nevada. 

judyinohio

Aug-8

I stand corrected.  I never went to Paducah because I had read it was total gridlock and you had to plan years ahead for a parking space.  LOL