Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Working With a Kate Flynn Laser-Cut Miniature Kit   General Discussion

Started Aug-2 by judyinohio; 974 views.
judyinohio

Aug-2

My previous plan to make a sort of color wheel strip miniature quilt has been cheerfully derailed because something came in the mail that looks like a lot more fun.

John Flynn's daughter Kate sells laser-cut kits on the John Flynn Quilt Frame website and I fell for this one big time. (Or small time, as the case may be.)

Storm at Sea Miniature 4.5" Pre-Cut Kit Blue

Storm at Sea Miniature 4.5 Pre-Cut Kit Blue
Isn't that just the bee's knees?  And all of the pieces are cut out and ready to stitch!!  Of course since the finished quilt is only 14" x 18" the 700 pieces are teeny-weeny. 
I have just barely started to sew this morning because I was super-hyper careful about setting Cecil Faye up for the scant 1/4" seam required in the instructions with the kit. I'm good with 1/4" seams but nervous about the "scant" business.  persevere (They even included a diagram of the seam width they wanted you to use so they were serious about that seam width!)
So I am starting out with the rectangular blocks, the largest ones, and will work my way down to the smaller ones.
On another subject (it's my thread so I can go off-topic), I got a steroid shot in my shoulder yesterday. I showed my orthopod my new book on making tiny quilts and told him I was swearing off making the large quilts that were wrecking left shoulder.
He gave me a very skeptical  look and said he hoped so because this was my last steroid shot  in that joint. He said that the next time I saw him we would be talking about shoulder replacement.  I said "No way!" and he said if I wouldn't consider shoulder replacement then I should not bother seeing him again.
Sigh.

latterberry

Aug-2

Bless your heart, making all those tiny pieces.  Makes me shudder.  Sounds like it might be time to shop for a new Dr.  I would want to avoid that surgery too.

judyinohio

Aug-2

DH agrees with too much cortisone injected into joints.

He compares overuse of cortisone in joints to making the tissues act like very old rubber bands that become brittle and lose their elasticity. I certainly would not want tendons, ligaments, etc. to begin acting like very old brittle rubber bands.

Midkid5

Aug-2

Quilt is very pretty, hope you enjoy working on it.  

So will you rethink shoulder replacement surgery down the road?

Jo

judyinohio

Aug-2

I very much doubt rethinking the idea of shoulder replacement surgery because of what I learned about myself when I had to deal with my broken arm last August.

There's something weird about my "wiring":  I learned that I do not have a normal response to morphine, to Percocet, to dilaudid and to other painkillers that help most people. I was in agony in the Emergency Department because those medications were about as helpful as M&Ms or a Milky Way candy bar.

Then 24 hours later when I was scheduled for surgery to repair the break at the end of my humerus bone they almost couldn't get a nerve block to work; something about my nerves were "too fine". Yeah, right, I have extra small nerves?  Just hit me with a rubber mallet and knock me out that way, please.  stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes  I had been keeping my arm on ice for hours and I was ready for that.

After all was said and done I was sent home to use Tylenol and ice packs. (I have stage 3 kidney failure and cannot use Aleve and other fancy OTC pain killers.)

So .... no elective surgery for this old quilter. If I have to give up my handwork hobbies, so be it.

MarciainMD

Aug-2

Yummy pattern and yummy colors!  I've always liked Storm at Sea.

probably stating the obvious, but be careful pressing too.  I did a mini storm at sea but I did paper piecing.  Since yours is not PP, it might be helpful to make a template of the size of each finished block (rectangle, square in square, etc) to use as comparison after sewing & pressing.  Even a little stretching while pressing will cause problems when you try to put them together.  I would hate for you to scar your DH's ears with bad words....

latterberry

Aug-2

Oh, dear--I didn't realize that.  Good advice from a second opinion.

Judy the mini storm looks awesome. Do take good care of your shoulder.