Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Quilting a hexie   General Discussion

Started Aug-11 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR); 969 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Aug-11

Hexies just catch my attention.

Here is a great way to quilt them, although it seems to me, it would work best with LARGE hexies.  I also really like the use of different colored threads, but sure wouldn't like tieing  them off every time.

http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thequiltingland.com%2F2019%2F03%2Fhow-to-quilt-feathers-on-hexagons.html&h=AT1rOJXjFMohtrXGl7lyBPEFok6i3lWL6r_JUqOQN5aLXmnq-sPOf7Ge7VWiGASoj-5aCqLh7YRrS4YPBrmQYZS5S_6BchTSnQaL4twFJh9tDVuQD_Ws_14elmOnzQxXsUZl4IE

judyinohio

Aug-11

That is some kind of overkill, isn't it?

After you started the thread about the lovely shaded hexies I went to YouTube and viewed a couple of videos on "how to make .... " and learned about how to do English paper piecing, etc. etc. etc.

So you have layers of fabric folded under, basted, paper pulled out, hexies stitched together and then you are dreaming of quilting the hexies with those swirls?

Bring on the smelling salts while I swoon, Dear Pirate.

• Edited August 11, 2019 10:01 pm  by  judyinohio
Suze (casuzenn)

Aug-11

eh...those feathered hexies are a whole cloth...just quilted to look like hexies...I suppose you could do it to actual hexies - but that would be, as you say, overkill!

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Aug-11

Just a minor correction in the order of operations,  Judy dear ...fold the fabric around the template, secure per your favorite method, THEN stitch the hexies together,  THEN once *a* hexie is surrounded by other hexies, then you can remove the template.  The template provides a firm edge for the whip-stitching edges  together much easier and accurately.

But of course you gotta think of how to quilt it!  Staying as a flimsy is so sad.

Which is why hexies are a fantastic Forever Project!  (It would take me longer than forever if I was contemplating hand quilting but I just don't have the patience for hand quilting)

Here are your smelling salts.

judyinohio

Aug-11

Dear Pirate and Suze,

I will crawl under my huge orange monster of a quilt and stay there, refusing to think any other thoughts of hexies, until I calm down. sleeping

You'll remember I sent you my one hexie attempt.  I liked the portable idea, but it absolutely killed my hands.  Holding the hexies hurt so much more than applique.  I think it was because of pinching the pieces while stitching, caused my arthritis in my thumb/wrist to sting something awful.  I don't think it would be your cup of tea at all.

Mishii

Aug-12

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said:

I don't think it would be your cup of tea at all.

I think I agree.  If you don't like making the same block over and over, I can't imagine you enjoying the process of making a million exactly the same hexies.  Only my opinion of course.

In reply toRe: msg 8
Suze (casuzenn)

Aug-12

oddly...I usually detest making the same block over and over...but EPP doesn't get my hackles up...

Judy (DJZMOM)

Aug-12

Those are lovely.  And that's the back?!

That still is lots of dense quilting and tying off.  sheesh...