Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

If It Doesn't "Spark Joy" .....    General Discussion

Started Aug-13 by judyinohio; 396 views.
judyinohio

Aug-13

There is a woman who has made a fortune with her books and videos based on the theory that things should "spark joy" or else you should get rid of them.  I have not read any of her books or watched any of her videos but I have seen newspaper articles and watched TV stories about her. 

I think that she has a very good idea but I have spent my life from childhood on"pitching stuff" (as my DM called it) as I moved from one house to the next. (My mom's reasoning was that if we hadn't used something since we lived in Cincinnati and we were about to move from Lexington to Buffalo then it was time to pitch that thing. That's why I don't have my childhood dollhouse.)

Anyhow, all of this blather is about a realization I had this morning as I heaved a very deep sigh as I sat down at my sewing machine.  This "Storm at Sea" kit from the Flynn Frame Co. is not "sparking joy". 

I chose the wrong colors.

Some of the pale blue batiks make me feel like I am working on my grandpa's pajamas.

It just is starting to set my teeth on edge.

Nothing wrong with the kit ... it's just me and my choice of color. What made me select blue?

I dunno. But there is no joy in Judy's sewing room and life is too short to plod on.

Marie Kondo would tell me to get rid of it.  relieved

The strip of fabrics on the right was included with the kit to show me all twenty of the blue batiks that were included. Pile in upper left of photo is the rest of the 49 diamond blocks that I made.  It was when I started to make the square in square blocks that I realized that I despised the pale blue fabrics.

• Edited August 13, 2019 12:03 pm  by  judyinohio
MarciainMD

Aug-13

I agree Judy.  I love blue but those choices of blue just don't do anything for me.  To coin one of your phrases, they look catywampus" to me.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Aug-13

Blue is my favorite color.  But that being said, I'm not a color expert but I would have chosen different blue fabrics especially for the lights.

So what are you going to do?  Persevere or chuck it?

judyinohio

Aug-13

The kit contains 700 precisely cut little pieces and it cost $25.00. (That's rather amazing, isn't it? To get that many accurately cut tiny pieces for that price?)  However, I am grown-up enough to admit that purchasing this kit in this colorway was a mistake.

The kit has gone in the trash. Why persevere in something ugly-ish?

I think I'll work a jigsaw puzzle and read a book on mini quilt making. And perhaps work on a foundation-pieced mini quilt that looks like a stretched-out color line (instead of a color wheel). Plus I also have an online polymer class coming up at the end of September ... Single Slice Mokume ... that will be challenging.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Aug-14

Glad you didn't have much $$$ invested.  The time you have already invested is lost.disappointed  But your learned something.  Enjoy your upcoming projects!

tuckyquilter

Aug-17

Put it up for auction here.  LOL