Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

what ever happened to   Quilting Swaps - Unsewn

Started Sep-21 by latterberry; 542 views.
latterberry

Sep-21

common courtesy?  Not quilt related-  just a vent.  Yesterday I needed to pick up some big pots of mums from my DDs condo.  Two young guys were there working on the concrete parking lot so I had to park about a half a football field away.  I'm trying to carry 3 of those big full pots of beautiful mums at once so I don't have to make a second trip.  Look- I'm obviously old and struggling and do you think either one would offer to help?  They weren't actively pouring cement or anything, just moving stuff around  One was walking the same direction as me with nothing in his hands and had the nerve to say "Gee, you sure have your hands full"  Duh!!!  My adult kids were taught thoughtfulness and if I ever caught them failing to help, I'd still give them a tongue lashing.  

judyinohio

Sep-21

His Momma never taught him basic manners.

Now when you look at those mums you will remember the lout.

CC (ccase5)

Sep-21

Oh my, I would have helped you and taken one of the pots, he, he. Seriously I know what you mean. i wonder these days if it's men are afraid to even get near a woman. you never know. that one guy did talk to you so he wasn't afraid and should have helped. shown his muscles they are so proud of. You made it I assume??
latterberry

Sep-22

Oh, I made it just fine.  I think I was mostly disappointed in the lack of thoughtfulness.  I was raised different and hope I raised my kids to not be like that. 

latterberry said: WHAT ever happened to:

common courtesy

Saturday, I had a H$#l of a day with my car two blocks from my house in 90 degree weather. It was actually within walking distance, I was by myself (no hubby or grandsons). I’d left my phone at home, so I walked back to the apartment to get it and tell Roger what happened. Well on my way BACK to the car, I walked past a neighbor “girl” about 22-25 that lives with her sister. She was just coming home from buying some kind of fast food. I had my purse over my shoulder and my face was red, I said to her as I was walking, “ I think my brakes went out on my car about a block or two over on the next street.” She unlocked her apartment door and said “good luck!”  Now if that were you.....what would you have replied to me?    Common curtesy from this old woman would have asked if a ride was needed.  Am I over reacting?

latterberry

Sep-23

Not overreacting at all!  I wonder what she would have done if you told her it was 12 blocks away?  It's so disappointing to hear and experience these things.  I do have a good story though.  I'm old, but I was helping an much older lady trying to get her groceries in her car when this young boy (10 maybe) came up and asked if we needed help.  I was so pleased and really let him know how proud I was of him.  I saw his mother waiting in her car and gave her a big thumbs up.  So, there are some good ones out there.

Pamjr

Sep-23

I agree, most young people are thoughtless. But if you are not taught differently and are made to believe everything is all about YOU and NOTHING is your fault, that's what you end up with. I have met hundreds of people like that. I have also had people(strangers,both men and women) walk over to me and ask if they can help  get something down (I'm five feet tall) for me. I've had people who have come out a door, turn around and come back to open a door for me. The last time that happened, I thought, gee I must look pretty bad. I told the man  "Thanks, but you didn't have to come back to open the door" and he (maybe in his 60's) said ."No he did have to come back", that was the way his mother raised him."

In reply toRe: msg 7
latterberry

Sep-23

I know what it's like to be short (5 feet too) and have trouble reaching things.  Most of the time you can't even find a clerk or worker to help you so I've had to ask another shopper.  I often have older gentlemen hold or open doors for me and I make sure I thank them appreciatively.  Sometimes I wonder if it is this crazy women's lib stuff that some men are afraid to do stuff for them for fear of getting told off.  Me-- I like being treated like a lady. 

Pamjr

Sep-23

I think it's just common curtsey  to hold the door for the next person. I do it for men or woman. I will say when a young woman rushed back to open the door for me , when I went to pick up pizza, I thought I must look pretty bad. I looked in the car mirror when I got back in the car. LOL

If I'm the first one to the door, I open it and hold it for who ever is behind me. If I see someone coming out, pushing a stroller or with their hands full, I open it for them to come out. If there is a man behind me, they are usually surprised. I just say, "I'm sure you have opened the door a million times for others." It's like letting someone merge into traffic on the freeway. I not gong to speed up so you can't get in. I'm going to slow a tad, let you in and keep the traffic moving. Then the next time you'll feel like doing the same.  I think driving is stressful enough. I worked for 35 years and was always in a hurry, always running behind. I retired and now don't have that stress anymore. 

judyinohio

Sep-23

latterberry said:

so I've had to ask another shopper.

I've lost track of the times I have had to ask another shopper to reach for something up on a high shelf for me at a "big box store".  There's a problem at the wild bird seed department at our Meijer's store where my favorite seed is on the shelf nearest the ceiling (LOL) and I'm forever at the end of the aisle trying to waylay some tall person to get it down for me.  ("Excuse me, may I borrow your husband for a minute ... " is my usual question when a couple is going by.)

My own husband's bad back makes him too feeble to shop with me.