Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

latest jigsaw puzzle - sort of   General Discussion

Started Sep-23 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 918 views.

I've started the last kit of B&W novelties.  This one will have rings of TOT's around the black squares.  I drew it out in EQ 1st and am using that as a road map.  But decided I had to put the whole thing on the design wall to figure out which fabrics to sew to which blocks.  Definitely looks like a jigsaw puzzle at this point.  I've sewn the 1st 3 rows, the others are just stuck to the wall.   I realized I was going to have to cut a few more patches so put them up without the novelties to see which I needed.

That looks great. Bet you really have to pay attention to make sure you are sewing the right piece each time.

yes, definitely.  Going slowly.  And back and forth to the design wall.   A Lot.  I've only stepped on Ranger 2 or 3 times.  He wasn't happy.  You'd think he'd learn to stay out of the way but for some reason he wants brushed.

judyinohio

Sep-23

You are obviously a woman who loves a challenge.  (Understatement of the week.)

well, you always need to stretch now and then.  You may notice that the earlier B&W's were pretty easy (disappearing 9 patch, simple zigzag).  They've gotten progressively harder, with this one last - because I knew piecing was going to take some concentration.  It isn't hard - snowball blocks & framed squares.  It's making sure the colors are in the right places, not much opportunity for mindless chain piecing here.

It's the issue with keeping track of color placement that convinced me to use the folded squares in the corners on this one.  Trying to sewing 4 tiny little triangles and keep the colors right and points even approximately matching would have been a nightmare.  I didn't like pinning this thing, but still easier than 4 hst's would have been.

judyinohio

Sep-23

I wish I was the child of one of your friends .....

if there's a special child in your life, I'll send you one.  seriously.  Or if you are feeling particularly childish yourself.....

seriously though.  I"m not really liking the border on the pocket quilt.  Seems too busy.  any thoughts on what would look better?  I tried auditioning several options and I thought I chose what would work.  But now that I"m looking at the picture I don't like so much.

judyinohio

Sep-23

Can't see it well enough in the photo to offer a border idea but if you feel it is too busy then go with your gut and opt for a solid border or a TOT border.

I'll send you a link.  maybe it just needs a TOT inner boarder instead of the zigzag, but if so, what color?  black?  blue?