Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Advice on Tshirt Quilt   General Discussion

Started Sep-23 by mom1me2; 202 views.
mom1me2

Sep-23

I am wanting to start a Tshirt quilt but am unsure how to go about it.  I know that there are utube videos and so forth, but thought I would come to the true guru's first.  

I am figuring that there has to be something like that light iron on stuff that one has to put on the back of the tshirt square you cut so that it has some stiffness to it, am I correct there?  How do you , generally, go about deciding the size of the blocks?  I am planning on doing one with some of my HardRock Cafe shirt collection.  

I don't want to sound dumb, just don't want to mess them up trying to go in totally blind or trying to figure out utube video as I do it.  

LeeAnn

I have made some t-shirt quilts and here are a few of my tips. 

I like the fusible for knits.

Put the stretch of the shirt opposite from the fusible.

It fuses better if you spritz with water to kinda steam it. 

Cut the t-shirt piece oversized, the fusible oversized but a little smaller than the t-shirt and cut to the size you want after it is fused. 

Allow the pieces to cool completely after you fuse them before you move them.

I use a 1/2 inch seam allowance.

judyinohio

Sep-23

LeeAnn, try to remember that there are no "dumb" questions here. We were all beginners at one time. 

Also, most of us love to offer tips and advice.

I prefer pellon 101 fusible, thin woven.  I have found deciding on a standard width works best, then make columns, adjusting the height of the blocks. Putting sashing between gives you flexibility on sizes too.  Biggest hint, cut bigger, then trim. 

bornblesse2

Sep-24

Two T-shirt quilters have recommended Shape Flex to me.  That may be the Pelion 101.

arrange a layout of your t shirts in rows or columns to make it easier to put together.  When using smaller shirt or bits of them, combine them together, OR frame them to make consistent sizes.

a basic color sashing that sets off the shirts helps the whole thing go together.  And framing can be done in that also.  Get out your graph paper and play!