Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

A better mousetrap .. or seam ripper, as the case may be   General Discussion

Started Sep-27 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR); 865 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Sep-27

The traditional seam ripper (aka Jack the Ripper) that we all know and love/hate intimately hasn't changed its design since Moses brought it out from Egypt.  It has one purpose:  .. sigh .. to remove the stitches that we have sewn inaccurately or sewn a seam where we shouldn't have.

That seam ripper does the job adequately BUT it does have the inherent flaw of sometime RIPPING THE FABRIC instead of only the stitches.   It is times such as these that we question our sanity about ever learning how to sew.   The stitches need to be ripped out/removed and this is the design that has been handed down to us.   There just isn't a safe alternative, is there?

OR IS THERE??   <cue dramatic drum roll>

Today, Judy Akers (DJsMom) and I attended a Craft/Sew Expo.  It was towards the end of the afternoon and we were visiting the last row of vendors.  In a little jar next to her cash register, were these intriguing items.  It rather looked like one of those gizmos that you use to trim back your bushy eyebrows.  In fact, I asked that very question.

Nope, came the answer.  It was a seam ripper.

SAY WHAT????     SHOW ME  (and I'm not even from Missouri.)

This little gizmo has a straight razor blade at the business end, covered by a sleeve that has "scallops" in it (kinda like teeth), to allow the razor's edge to show through.   You use it by exposing the threads of the seam to be ripped/removed and, in a slicing movement, you run the teeth across the threads and BINGO .. they are gone.  The teeth grab at the threads, allowing the razor's edge to slice through them yet the protective cover stops the razor's edge from touching the fabric.

AMAZING.   TAKE MY MONEY.

It wasn't until I was at home that I realized that the vendor was selling **just the seam ripper** .. i.e. no packaging.  Furthermore, there was no manufacturing information on the handle.  Holy moley ... how was I to get more, should I want/need them???

Well, that's why God invented the internet's image search!   It only took a few keystrokes and a picture from my camera to discover that this unique seam ripper is a KAI Seam Remover.   You can buy them at several places, from $5.99 to $14.00 to $18 for 3.      Now, who in their right minds would pay $14.00 for ONE of these gizmos when you can buy them for a lot less is quite beyond me.  But .. whatever.

In an interesting aside, an almost identical gizmo is available from KAI ... a "KAI RAZOR Touch’N Brow Razor" .. which IS marketed as "Takes off unwanted facial hair, arching eyebrows, necks, sideburns and bikini line."    From the photo provided, it looks exactly like the KAI Seam Remover.  :-)    So, it looks like it might be a multi-use gizmo.  :-)

And yes, my experiments at home showed me that it works exactly as was demo'd to me.  Right now, it's my newest, favorite gizmo.  :-)

latterberry

Sep-27

Very interesting.  I was curious, so googled it to learn more.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orWwdzJTonE

That is a better "mouse trap:!  Thanks for sharing your discovery.

MarciainMD

Sep-27

Wow! This is great news!  I will order one ASAP.  Thank you for sharing your discovery.  

Mishii

Sep-27

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:

And yes, my experiments at home showed me that it works exactly as was demo'd to me.

So we can be assured that your eyebrows, beard, bikini line, and inappropriately sewn seams are all now under control?

Wow! Your seam ripper sounds really cool.

One of the latest beauty trends is "dermaplaning" to exfoliate and remove "peach fuzz" from the face.  It's being advertised all the time on TV.  You can buy the little razor things everywhere, including Target, Walmart, Amazon - probably even at your local supermarket.  Here's a pack of 4 from Target for $9.99.  It's likely that some vendors have begun marketing them as a new "miracle" sewing notion and discovered that they can charge a lot more for them.  But they are all essentially the same thing, and they DO work pretty good.  And it IS nice that they have multiple uses.

https://www.target.com/p/finishing-touch-flawless-dermaplane-hair-trimmer/-/A-75565976

A few years ago, there was an electric razor (battery?) or clipper device that would do the same thing?  The trick was in carefully peeling the two fabric layers apart and just catching only the stitches, and it worked pretty good.  This little gadget does too.  Just buy them at any local merchant in the cosmetics department and don't pay more just because they're selling them as a can't-live-without-it new quilting thing.   

judyinohio

Sep-27

I've ordered one of these for my DD as a Christmas stocking stuffer.  Thanks for the idea.

CC (ccase5)

Sep-27

oh that is the shave your face thing. no thanks, i hardly have any hair! when i did have peach fuzz i would never shave it!
but stitches that need removing, yes!! thanks.

I Just ordered one! Well several it was cheaper ;-) Thanks for the “tip” Pirate