Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Turtle Quilt - 10 years in the Making   Show and Tell

Started Oct-8 by Samsmom94; 481 views.
Samsmom94

Oct-8

This is a long story so.......

10 years ago the first quilt I ever tried to make was a queen size Lone Star from Diane's Native American Star Quilts website. Nothing like jumping in with both feet lol. I had no idea what I was doing, no skills at all. Trying to figure out how to properly cut strip sets at a 45* angle was a total disaster and many $$ worth of fabric ended up going in the trash. I didn't give up on the idea of that quilt though, I knew I needed to start my quilting journey with easier projects and get some skills under my belt. So that's what I did for the next few years, mostly baby quilts up to twin size. Anything bigger would've been too hard on my hands to try and quilt on a domestic machine. (As an aside, I bought a long arm a few years ago so that's not an issue any more.)

It was while I was using Pirates' excellent tutorial for making bias binding that gave me the light bulb moment (cutting the 45* angle). I jumped up and thought "YES!!! I can make that star!" Well, other quilts had to be made, and I kept changing my mind about what colors to use, so it still didn't get made. I did make 3 or 4 small Lone Star wall hangings just to be sure I had it down though.

2 years ago I thought I was finally ready to begin that quilt and wouldn't you know it, the pattern disappeared. I had set the envelope with the pattern in it on the table, youngest DD cleaned off the table and threw all the papers in the trash. I've spent the time since then trying to find the pattern again with no luck. The website is no longer active and the two places I found that still carry her patterns don't have the turtle star. I posted ISO requests on several FB and Yahoo groups, spent many hours looking for it at online shops, but to no avail. I'd all but given up. Then 2 weeks ago I was moving some boxes into the house from the shop(I had a new house built 2 years ago and still haven't moved everything back in), opened a sewing room box and HOLY SH**, THERE IT WAS!! The pattern I thought was gone forever! Now I wonder what exactly was in the envelope that got tossed lol. I thought about it real hard for a few days then one day walked into my sewing room and just started pulling fabrics. No more thinking, just chose a color scheme and went for it. The quilt is for my son. We are life long Seattle Seahawk fans and the turtle is my sons' totem, so Seahawk colors just seemed right. Everything cams from my stash except the background color. I didn't have enough of it and it's an old print so I had to resort to Ebay for it. The pic doesn't show the fabrics very well. The blues, green and gray are tone on tones and the white is a pebbled white on white. I'm still waffling about the borders but I'm so happy with how it's turned out so far.

Cari

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Oct-8

Now, *that* is one awesome story!  You need to put that on the label!  Or scrapbook it.  Or something for posterity.

I absolutely LOVE the thought you put into choosing the motif and the colors of the fabrics, and the meaning behind them.  When you finish it, it's going to be amazing. :-)

Suze (casuzenn)

Oct-8

awe-sum possum!!!  he will LOVE it!

judyinohio

Oct-8

The Saga of the Turtle Star!

That is a wonderful title for a story in a quilting magazine and you're the woman to submit that story for publication.  Don't worry about being a professional writer ... that's what magazines have editors for, to polish up the stories that quilters send in to them. 

I double-dog dare you to send it in ..  wink

Love your turtle star quilt. Sometimes you just have to wait for just the right moment for something. 

bornblesse2

Oct-8

What a great story!  And I love how learning a skill from one thing lends itself to another application!

love your quilt!

CC (ccase5)

Oct-8

oh my goodness, that is a turtle!! took me a few seconds. Beautiful!!
latterberry

Oct-9

My goodness-  what an absolutely stunning quilt!  I couldn't even imagine trying to tackle it as a beginning quilter.  Not sure I would want to tackle it now with 20+ years of experience.  You did a beautiful job and  and it was so nice to hear the story that went with it.

MarciainMD

Oct-9

I love the quilt and the story behind it!  The colors are great.

Whoa. Great quilt and saga!