Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

road trip   Quilting Swaps - Unsewn

Started Oct-10 by latterberry; 1395 views.
Judy (DJZMOM)

Oct-24

Good for you.  I remember how you have enjoyed your driving adventures to wherever the road takes you!  Enjoy!

mynabird

Oct-27

That is so funny! We always drove SLOW as I get dizzy and walk like a crab when we leave the car!! I'm happy to know others are driving that way! 

tuckyquilter

Nov-5

I would LOVE to take a run through the Blue Ridge Mountains.  Photo's always look so beautiful.  Do you travel alone?  or with a friend, hubby etc? If so any advice for a lone traveling woman?

I need to get out more... out of state... I just finished a long road trip from CA to my son's home just outside Toledo, OH.  A quilter friend from OH flew out here to CA and made the drive back with me. We had no time frame and no agenda, other than "Standing on a Corner in Winslow AZ", where we spent the first night.  We booked our hotels along the way after we decided how far we wanted to drive that day.  It was wonderful. I hadn't made that trip in 48 years by car.  I'd forgotten how big our country is. And what a lovely country we have.  Stopped near my hometown in KS to visit with friends & relative. THEN on to Missouri Star Quilt Co. in MO.  I was not all that impressed, but I can say I've been there, done that.   

SO now I'm trying to decide where I want to go next.  and do I want to do it alone or take a friend.  Choosing the right friend is the key to a good trip.

latterberry

Nov-5

Well, that sounds like quite a road trip you took!  Good for you!  I've been doing this for about 5 years now  Got tired of  DH being a workaholic and just took off on my own.  I decided I liked going solo.  I can stop when I want or keep going when I want.  Like you, I have no real agenda, but maybe a goal of some thing I want to see-- kind of like standing on a corner in Winslow, AZ!  I kind of like song themes.  Last year I went to the Smokey Mountains( I live in the flat lands of Illinois, so love seeing mountains) and went through Rocky Top, TN.  Remember that Dolly Parton song?  This last rip in the Blue ridge I saw West Virginia, a real mountain mama, Shennendoah River, and it was almost heaven.  John Denver--Country roads.  

I do have a few rules I go by.  I have my car checked out before I go.  I must be in my hotel before dark, and my hotel door must open to a hallway not the outside.  DH encourages me to travel but insists that I stay at a nice hotel and not some cheap place.  I did stay at a couple of cheap Supper 8s to save money and the last one kind of scared me, so I look for decent, reasonable ones.  I have found I like Hampton Inns.  Always bright, clean, friendly and I feel safe.  One of my rules is tat I don't go to or through big cities.  This country gal does NOT do that kind of driving!  So, if I can do,you can too.  Just take off and go--So many things and places to see in this great country of ours.

Pamjr

Nov-5

I've been there. Did you take a picture with the stature?  

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Nov-5

tuckyquilter said:

We had no time frame and no agenda, other than "Standing on a Corner in Winslow AZ",

That was a road trip that Mr. Pirate & I have done ... and we DO have the photo to prove it!  LOL!

tuckyquilter

Nov-5

I love your rules.  They are common sense things to remember.

I love Hampton and Marriott Fairways. We did stay in some Wyndham hotels and they were nice but not as fancy as the Hampton/Marriott. We looked for places that have free breakfast too. Saves a bit of cash and we don't have to go looking for a place. 

I'm looking to maybe plan a trip, just for me, someplace north.  Maybe Oregon/Washington.  There are folks I'd like to visit in those areas and want to see those states as well.  Some would provide housing as well. 

I watch your posts for your travel tips and quilts of course.  LOL

latterberry

Nov-5

Well, good for you.  Plan that trip!  I'm glad to "meet" someone else who likes to go solo.  I get tired of folks acting incredulous that I travel alone.  "You went all that way by yourself??!!" Yes, I did and I'll do it again.  I haven't stayed at a Marriot--will have to give it a try.  A La Quinta I stayed at was nice.  On one of my trips, I visited Judy in Ohio.  Fun, fun.  

In reply toRe: msg 20
judyinohio

Nov-5

On one of my trips, I visited Judy in Ohio.  Fun, fun.  

And she survived!!!

latterberry

Nov-6

And a great visit it was!  I still wear that shirt.