Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Possibly worse than running out of bobbin thread with 2" to go. ..   General Discussion

Started Oct-13 by sueinIL; 299 views.
sueinIL

Oct-13

is getting to the end of sewing on  a long strip of binding and getting to a corner where the diagonal binding seams are coming together.  What to do?  Let it get by in its lumpy state?  Ripping back and resewing the ends together in a new place?

Sue in IL

judyinohio

Oct-13

Yes to both questions.

I'm not being sarcastic here because it all depends.  Is this a charity quilt being donated to something like Project Linus where a child will not  notice if the corner is lumpy?  (It might taste better when the teething infant chews on a lumpy corner.)

Is this a gift quilt for beloved family member?

Flip a coin ... heads you let it go, tails you rip it back.  Judge your reaction to the flipped coin and go from there.

Mishii

Oct-13

Depends on how lumpy.  I would probably rip and resew.  That will only take a few minutes vs the many minutes it will take to fiddle with the lump and still not be entirely happy with it when you are finished.

In reply toRe: msg 3
sueinIL

Oct-13

Not an heirloom, not for charity.  i just let it go and sewed it down.  Guess what?!  The same thing happened on the next corner.  In my impatient mood, I just let it be.  We'll see how much I regret that decision when I hand stitch the binding onto the back.  Yes, I know.  

Sue in IL

Or, sometimes I just want to round off the corners of the quilt and not have to worry about mitering.  That's also a possibility -- depending on where the quilt is going.  

Midkid5

Oct-13

Sue, if everything was press nicely as you went along you probably won't notice which corners have the extra diagonal seam.  I don't when this has happened to me.

Jo

This has happened to me before and I am the one that would take the time to do a bit of fixing like adding a longer strip or something to make that corner right. I am sure lots of quilters would just keep going and that us fine too, just not what I would do.

Suze (casuzenn)

Oct-13

hum...with two of them...maybe it will look intentional??

its always a gamble with binding! I tend to try to figure out where to start based on some rough measures with those seams...I clip them to the quilt to see if I am right about where to start -  a little extra fussing...but whenever I remember to do it, saves my bacon...

And that is exactly why I clip or pin it first. I want to see where those seams are going to fall.  A few minutes to roughly pin first saves lots of frustration later, gives me the opportunity to slide it a few inches either way and miss the corners

sueinIL

Oct-14

I'm doing that right now!  So far so good!  Have you seen the sign that says, "Measure twice, cuss once"?  So funny, but true.

Sue in IL