Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What colors for spring mountains?   General Discussion

Started Oct-15 by sueinIL; 347 views.
sueinIL

Oct-15

I'm thinking about making a mountain quilt; I first saw the pattern on pinterest, and there is a download I can buy for $10.  Once you see the quilt, I think you'll see there is no need for the paid pattern.  It's all half-square triangles arranged as mountains.  Anyway, I'd like the rows to represent the four seasons.  Gray and white for winter, greens for summer, orange and browns for fall.  What colors would you use to represent the mountains in spring? Clearly I don't live where mountains are (we are all corn and soybeans!) but what would you suggest that wouldn't be too pastel?  Thanks!

Sue in IL

YDritch

Oct-15

Not sure about other places, but our mountains (at least at dusk) are pinks and purples....maybe check out southwest colors

latterberry

Oct-16

LOL!  I totally understand only knowing corn and beans!  I just got back from a trip through the Blue Ridge mountains and they really are blue looking at them in the distance. 

sueinIL

Oct-16

We drove home cross-country from Indy Saturday and were amazed at how much picking was being done or was all done!  Either the planting weather was better south of us, or corn and beans just know how to play catch-up, there was a lot of harvesting going on!  Hope it turns out to be a good year for the farmers.

Sue in IL

5dogmom (CRISR5)

Oct-16

The mountains around here show what I can only describe as a shimmery sort of green, lighter than summer green.  Not very helpful, huh?  <G>

Cris in MT

sueinIL

Oct-16

No, actually you were very helpful!  After wandering around the quilt fabric warehouse, I ended up choosing a couple of greens I thought looked "springy." Kind of a bright green, not the green of summer.  For each season, I chose  2 complimentary batiks and two small-scale prints showing what would be growing there at each season:  trilliums, winter grass, bright flowers, etc.   I also chose a pretty blue "sky."  There are a couple of quilts in line before that one, though, and that will give me time to look through stash for other fabrics to add to the mix.

Sue in IL 

5dogmom (CRISR5)

Oct-16

It sounds like you're on the right track!

Cris in MT

cosmostar

Oct-16

Purple/Pinks/Yellows

sueinIL

Oct-16

Well, I worked in the yellow, but not the purple or pink.  I guess I was subconsciously steering away from the blue color range. When I go stash diving, I'll look at those colors, too. Thank you for the suggestion!I

Sue in IL

bornblesse2

Oct-17

I haven’t been working on much....doing more teaching and then messing around!  But, I am packing today to leave %%% today, for a small get away retreat!  

Yes, I procrastinate until the last minute to pack.  I will let ya all know what we work on while at our get away!