Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Ye Olde Basting Spray   General Discussion

Started Oct-17 by judyinohio; 228 views.
judyinohio

Oct-17

I might be jumping to a conclusion here but I think my can of Sulky KK 2000 Temporary Spray Adhesive has a shelf life and that shelf life has expired.  There is no obvious date on this spray can and it has good propellant spraying out smelly stuff but there's very little stickiness to the product, even when I spray both the fabric and the paper.

How long has this small can sat in the closet in my sewing room? Years and years.  Nine or ten years? Or more?

Sigh.  Time to go looking for some good ol' 505.

Wish some of our products had dates on it.  I know that once upon a time I read that Pellon fusibles can go "stale" and you should always try to buy "fresh" fusibles; that was something on the Chicago School of Fusing's website.  But again, there are no dates on those fusbile products.

Mumble, mumble, mumble.  Mutter, mutter, mutter.  unamused

Take a sharpie and write your date of purchase on items.....at least you will know how long you have had the item. Sorry I don't know the shelf life but someone else may have an idea.

Suze (casuzenn)

Oct-17

hum...I have a can somewhere...its likely expired too..

never did like spray basting though...way too messy and stinky...and it requires a sunny day and I gotta move the car out of the driveway...way too much folderol!

have you seen where some gal(I forget who, but she is a well known quilter) takes small squares of MistyFuse and scatters them over her quilt and irons them to tack the top down? that seems like a more reasonable approach than spray, in my book anyway...

I also got some powder stuff that promises to allow fusing too..but haven't tried it yet..(haven't done anything the would require it in a long time...sigh..Hopefully will get back to doing some quilting soon!)

It should be relatively easy to find the MSDS for that product, which might have information on expiration.  Of course, you would have to know the date it was purchased (or preferably, manufactured).  

bornblesse2

Oct-19

As far as fusible go, I have always heard that if they are “older” to test them before starting.  From experience, heat and other conditions can reduce effectiveness.

we learned at the stop that because AZ is so hot and dry it is helpful for us to store them in plastic.  So I do!