Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

A different direction   Show and Tell

Started Oct-21 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 574 views.

I really did consider everyone's suggestions.  But then I went in a different direction completely.  I love contrast and bright colors, especially on I spy quilts.  The B&W blocks seemed so blah, they needed SOMETHING to liven things up.  the rainbow stripes were good, but needed something to outline them.

I remembered this setting I had done with muslin & strips for a string quilt several years ago.  The little 9 patches sounded fun, but muslin wouldn't do.  Black solid would really pop with the rainbow stripe.  So here we are.  This is likely to be a donation quilt, so I tried to not fuss over the placement of the colors.  I thought about trying to center the colors in the 9 patch, but decided to let the lines fall where they may.  they are a little distracting, but not too bad.

I am going to have to block it before I quilt it though.  Even with lots of starch (think paper stiff) the bias on the  block edges bit me when adding the sashing.    I was lazy and just cut some 4x4 white squares in half for the setting triangles rather than on the grain properly.  But I can straighten them out when I quilt.  Not my favorite, but still I like it.  And I finally found something to do with that rainbow stripe - I think it's been in my stash for at least 5 years.

Oh yes! The black does make it pop. 

Suze (casuzenn)

Oct-22

wowzers! that DOES look nice! 

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Oct-22

*great* use of the rainbow stripes.

I'll need to remember this for sashing, as I have a collection of stripes that I'm not sure what to do with.

judyinohio

Oct-22

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said:

This is likely to be a donation quilt

I think it is gorgeous!!  Donate it to ME!!!  heart_eyes

Looks really nice. The black in the sashing is perfect to outline the rainbow stripe.

In reply toRe: msg 7

thanks everyone.  Another one that makes me smile.  A friend of mine works with local refuge mothers, primarily from the Africa region.  She's excited to use them for teaching English.

CozyQuilts

Oct-22

I like it!  Bright and cheery!  Someone is going to love it!  Thanks for the inspiration on the stripes.  I, too, have a large stash of stripes that not sure what to do with, but this is giving me a lot of ideas!