Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Sashing ideas   General Discussion

Started Oct-25 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 728 views.

Last week I posted a picture of an I spy quilt where I used a 9 patch corner stone with strip sashing and a few people comments they liked the idea.

I was just scrolling through some pictures of a recent quilt show and found this one, similar but slightly different.  The small pieces are in the sashing with a solid piece in the corner.  Because of the color placement it gives a stair-step kind of effect.  A simple idea that looks complicated.  Thoughts I'd share.

LindaPutt

Oct-25

Both sashing ideas make such an impact on how nice the blocks look.  Thanks for sharing!

judyinohio

Oct-25

Those sashing blocks add a dazzling effect to the quilts, don't they? 

Are the snowflake blocks embroidered?

re the snowflakes - They were printed on the fabric and hand quilted around so they appeared to be applique unless you looked closely.  I took the picture because I have some batik fabric purchased years ago that is similar.  I haven't done anything with mine because I can't find the right color blue for the sashing.  Everything is too green or too dark or too light, etc etc.  Misha & I got it and split the blocks, but I don't think she's done anything with hers either.  Maybe this year.....  It's one of those that it doesn't count as a UFO if all you did was buy the fabric....

judyinohio

Oct-25

Oh, my goodness.  The tiny stitches in the quilting and the precision of the piecing for the sashing!

Was this quilt a prize-winner? 

How large was it?

You know I dont remember. I got up close because I at first thought it was applique and could not imagine how she was able to do it. Then I was impressed with how the printed fabric looked so much like applique. I remember talking with another lady about it, but did not notice a prize. It was a small show but the overall quality of the workmanship was very high. The grand prize was a baltimore album made by a local teacher that Imissed entirely, not sure how I managed that...

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Oct-26

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said:

It was a small show but the overall quality of the workmanship was very high.

I've gone to a number of small guild shows this year.  I am continually amazed at the sheer amount of very, very good technical workmanship and artistic interpretation on the quilts I've seen.  You don't need to go to a national show to see excellent quilts.

bornblesse2

Oct-26

I really like that sashing.....but will I remember that next time?

Re small shows. It depends. I have been to the Fort Worth show in the past and been disappointed, felt like it was a large number of kit quilts made by beginners with only a couple with closer examination. . Sounds like I am a snob, but I guess I go to a show to be inspired. They stopped doing that show a few years ago. It appears to have been replaced by this larger Sewing Expo.  I had not gone previously because all the advertisers were for embroidery machines.  And the vendors were not worth the price of admission.  I almost missed the judged show as it was not advertised at all. Just happened to pass it as I went down the hall to find hubby and wondered what was in the side room.  So glad as it was a definite gem.

I love BOTH of these ideas! Thank you for sharing!