Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

VALLEY OF THE SUN RETREAT Feb 14-16 2020   News and Announcements

Started Oct-31 by KSCarolyn; 56399 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Dec-22

It's a lot of work, clearing out someone else's house (not to say that cleaning out one's own house isn't as arduous) but it's  like an archeological dig.

A lot of memories will be uncovered,  too.

Judy (DJZMOM)

Dec-22

"like an archeological dig" is a fantastic description! 

There are many things we have specifically been looking for that unlock some of the missing information but then come across quite a few things which bring up new questions or new rabbit trails to follow.  David couldn't figure out why he was so tired last night after sitting on his backside most of the day going through piles of paper, binders and folders DJ pulled out of the closet.  I reminded him he was more mentally and emotionally tired as the new rabbit trails cause him to pause and comment to himself, "Oh, Dad, Dad, Dad...".  But we soldier on and we'll get through...  except there are more boxes coming into my house and to be cataloged and put under our pool table!  But Christmas will happen and the train throughout the house with the new red Santa trolly car makes him smile with a child's joy.  

lppenguins

Dec-22

I’m trying to catch up,but had to post. Laughed hard on the safe! We weren’t that lucky on the 3 at my uncles house. No combinations written down at all. 
the tea set is magnificent!

lppenguins

Dec-22

I’ve been working like crazy to get two quilts done before Christmas. A king quilt with accent pillows for my friend Laura for her 60th Bday. 
and a T-shirt quilt for a friends DGD. 
I am physically exhausted. And I will not give a completion date again!

lppenguins

Dec-22

I’m trying to post photos. 

lppenguins

Dec-22

Update. I’m so glad my pictures came through.
I also made a queen tshirt quilt for my son,but I’ll bring it for show and tell. (I almost never have one to bring because I give them away). 
my hope in January is to start the King size quilt and pillows for my DB and DSIL. Someday I’ll make myself one lol. 

here’s a tip on tshirt quilts. USE A VERY LIGHT WEIGHT FUSIBLE.  I did for most blocks, however I used a heavy heat n bond for a couple of blocks because I ran out of the light weight.

(1) Ok so it’s almost impossible to quilt through. 

(2) it’s so thick **once ironed on to quilt block & then light muslin**. AFTER QUILT WAS AT THE 1/2 WAY QUILTED STAGE, I got panicked and looked up the products and how to quilt it (it says not to) and to soften it. (It said it won’t soften). 
I’m confused at why I don’t do this first :0)

Good Lord Charlie Brown moment for sure. 
washing it in warm water with several color catchers  Has helped a lot but I will never use it again. I’m definitely running on empty this year. But I feel blessed it worked out in spite of me. 

• Edited December 22, 2019 9:09 pm  by  lppenguins
LABFIEND

Dec-23

lppenguins said:

I did for most blocks, however I used a heavy heat n bond for a couple of blocks because I ran out of the light weight.

Yes!  that heavy stuff is very stiff and hard to sew thru!  I have tons of lightweight fusible that I bought at a Joann's door buster, for like $4.49 for 10 yards!  I am set for t shirt quilts!!

Midkid5

Dec-23

Heat and Bond was original developed to be a no sew product.  They came out with the lite when people started trying to use the original for sewing projects.  

There are so many options for fusible it gets very confusing as to which is best for what.

When I made my tshirt quilt I used a product called French fuse, very light. Part of the reason I like it is it comes 60"wide.

Jo

bornblesse2

Dec-23

Oh noooooooo Laura!  Wish I had been around to warn you!

i have 2 t shirts quilts to start after Christmas from my nephew who passed away.  One at a time!