Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Houston Quilt Show - fun with 2 non-quilters   General Discussion

Started Nov-6 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 445 views.

Last week I took my sister and daughter to the Houston Quilt show and we had a great time, despite being non-quilters.  My sister agreed to use a wheelchair  as I knew there was no way she could walk that monster.  Daughter was helpful pushing the wheel chair (and comic relief).  Here is a picture of them hamming it up.

As usual, our favorites weren't the "big" winners. 

But everything was amazing. 

I even saw that a former forum member (Gail Stepanek) won with one of her signature crazy intricate hand pieced stars.

There was a display of seriously intricate log cabin quilts - each "log" is about 1/4" thick.

and a wonderful display of indigo & white quilts - that I just realized I didn't take a picture of.

Anyway, it was lots of fun and a great trip.  

Suze (casuzenn)

Nov-6

looks like you had great fun!

Judy (DJZMOM)

Nov-6

I'm so glad you got to enjoy Houston again with your daughter and to include your sister must have been the tops!  Looks like you saw lots of eye candy and had a ball.  Good for you!

bornblesse2

Nov-7

Paisleys....huh?  Glad you could go and have fun together!  Wowser on that flag log cabin.

Pamjr

Nov-7

Glad you had a good time.  It's great that you had your sis and her daughter to go with you. My favs are never the winners either. 

re the Paisley, I do kind of like them (unlike a few others who shall remain nameless)....  We had fun picking out what was tiny pieced in the background vs painted or quilted to create the texture.  Here you can see the green background is pieced, with a see through applique across the top for the paisley.  Because of the way they do the display at Houston, you can't always get right up to the quilts, but fortunately on this one you could get close on the side.  One of my complaints about Houston - they display them like an art museum so many times you cannot get within 4 feet to see the details.  Where at the Dallas show there are no barricades, in Houston they rope you off from almost all the quilts, and especially the big winners.  Thank goodness for smart phones where you can zoom in some.

here's a close up of another of the log cabins, she made great use of striped fabric to add additional detail.  Also some silks, where she used the grain of the fabric to add shading.

and the quilting on the flowers.

the wedding picture one was made entirely of family photos.  Also the back was 100% family photos.  The notes said it's a family past time to find pictures of yourself in the quilt.

bornblesse2

Nov-7

Wow Dee!   Those close up picture only make thequilts more spectacular!   Those tiny little logs.....all those photos,  the tiny pieces....oh my!

https://thequiltshow.com/daily-blog/142-newsletter/28614-in-full-bloom-a-quilt-by-claudia-pfeil?fbclid=IwAR2hnmjADnZhJZoq9kPSmQSkK4uRKZbHHLEg3YMKbUHPCj9tHEAbrUewykw

here's a link to some more pictures of the flowers.  It did win 1st place, it just wasn't on the "row of honor" - where the grand prize ($$$) are shown.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Nov-8

Glad you had fun!  Going with non-quilters gives you a new perspective.  They will see the quilt as a whole instead of breaking it up into use of darks and lights, colors, design, quilting etc.  I would love to go sometime but I think it ill have to wait for my next life.