Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Need some geometry help   General Discussion

Started Nov-11 by sueinIL; 399 views.
sueinIL

Nov-11

How do I cut a flying geese unit that will fit when placed in a row with HSTs?  I am using the HST cutting method of putting  two squares--in this case 3 1/2"-- together, drawing the diagonal and then sewing on each side of the line, cutting apart and then pressing open.  How do I figure the size of a flying goose that would match these HST units?   Would it be easier in the long run to just sew on the diagonal line to make the HSTs and scrap the remaining halves?  Is it time to get out the graph paper?  

Sue in iL

lavenderloco

Nov-11

I found this "cheat sheet" as she calls it:

https://jacquelynnesteves.com/half-square-triangle-hst-cheat-sheet-and-tutorial/ 

I hope this link works for you. Posting from my tablet. As far as the measurements for the flying geese, the length is usually twice it's width. It looks like your 3 1/2" square is in between her cut sizes. Not sure of the measurements for the geese fabrics as it depends on your method of construction.

Good luck! Please let us see what you're working on. 

Donna in Oklahoma  ;^)

latterberry

Nov-12

How big are your finished HSTs  supposed to be?  I have better luck when I cut a bigger square then trim them down.  eg; if I want a 2.5 inch HST, I cut a 3.5 inch square then slice it in half on the diagonal. Sew the two triangles that you want together then trim to the size you want.  I have better luck this way in getting an accurate HST.  Like Donna said, your FG should be length being twice the width, so your width would be the same as your HST then times two.  Or-- instead of making a FG. could you make two HSTs and sew them together to look like a FG?

sueinIL

Nov-12

Thank you, both of you!  I will print out the cheat sheet for future reference.  

And I know I could sew two hsts together instead of making one FG, but I actually thought the FG might be easier.  Silly me!  I think I will just go with hsts for the entire quilt.  I have sworn off doing hsts several times after doing whole projects with them, but it will work out better if  I just bite the bullet and move on.  There are only 360 of them.

Sue in IL

latterberry

Nov-13

Glad we could help.  What pattern are you  working on?  It doesn't sound like the library book one.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Nov-13

sueinIL said:

There are only 360 of them.

I love your use of the word "only".wink

sueinIL

Nov-13

I finally settled on a size today!  Going with a cut size of 4 1/2" .  It ends up as a good finished size and worth all the effort that goes into HSTs.

Sue in IL

lavenderloco

Nov-15

What finished size will your HSTs be? What pattern are you doing?? Curious minds want to know.

Donna in Oklahoma 

sueinIL

Nov-15

Donna, the pattern is Dusky Mountains.  You can just do a quick search for it or find it on pintetest.  I'm making it four times larger than the baby quilt.  All HSTs.  Why am I doing this again?!

Sue in IL