Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Want to Make a Special Quilt For My DH ....   General Discussion

Started Nov-13 by judyinohio; 1672 views.
judyinohio

Nov-13

Over the years I have made a few "couch quilts" for my DH in his favorite colors so he could spread them on his lap while resting in his easy chair watching TV with our kitty.

Unfortunately Misty the Kitty had to be put to sleep late last month. She was nineteen years old and had been deaf for about two years and then she suddenly went blind overnight. Perhaps it was detached retinas or perhaps she had a stroke on the optic nerve ... who knows?  It was sudden and she became frantic. Deaf and suddenly blind and nineteen years old. She was striking out at us and was inconsolable. We did the kindest thing we could do and took her to the vet even though it broke our hearts. 

I'm tearing up a bit as I type this but I am firm in my belief of no more cats at this house because I am allergy free for the first time in years. Loved that cat but she gave me the sniffles for years.

Anyhow, if any of you have a  novelty fabric that shows a grey cat I would appreciate a square or two. Depending on how much grey cat fabric I can collect I will stitch up a new lap quilt for my DH and back it with some Minkee.

Here's Misty the Kitty (a dilute tortoiseshell) demonstrating her skill at quilt testing.

Contact me through the Private Message thing at the top of this page for my snail mail address if you don't already have it.  All types of grey cat fabric schibbles will be welcome. No deadline.

Edited to add something that consoled DH:  Went to the Purina site and learned that a 19 year old cat is the equivalent of a 92 year old human. I told DH that our "princess" certainly had a pampered long reign at this house and he smiled.

• Edited November 13, 2019 10:06 am  by  judyinohio
MarciainMD

Nov-13

I'm so sorry about Misty.  I know you'll miss her in spite of the allergy symptoms.  The fact that you kept her in your family all those years just proves how much she meant to you.  If I had any grey kitty fabric I would certainly send it to you.  Making a grey kitty quilt is a great idea.

certainly I will look.  I don't have a lot of kitty fabric, but I'll check.  bet I have at least 1 or two.

Suze (casuzenn)

Nov-14

I am pretty sure I have some grey kitties... will have to remember to look when I get home...so sorry Miss Misty is gone....It does feel very weird with no kitty in the house...we decided to go pet free for a while too

latterberry

Nov-14

Awwww.. gee...., Judy, I am so sorry you lost your dear furbaby.  Many of us know the heartfelt sorrow you are going through and certainly can sympathize with you.  You gave that princess the best 19 years any cat could possibly have, and it was a kind and compassionate thing you had to do.  If they die naturally it is hard, but if you have to make the decision to relieve their suffering, it seems even worse.  You did the right thing.  Hugs to you, dear lady and I'll check my stash for any grey kitties. 

Judy I am so sorry you list your kitty. 19 is a long life for a cat. I know I have fabric but it is in New Mexico. I will be do there to visit soon. How big should the pieces be? 

judyinohio

Nov-14

Ami, I will accept whatever size and style pieces of grey kitty fabric that are offered.  After years of working with odds and ends for Project Linus quilts plus years of working jigsaw puzzles I will welcome the task of figuring out a "kitty challenge" for DH. 

It's odd, we both keep thinking we can see her out of the corner of our eyes ... like she's walking in the room or something like that. 

It is also hard to get out of the habit of saving leftovers for her daily snack, too. She loved bites of roast pork or grilled chicken ...

Misha (MISHAMISHA)

Nov-14

So sorry for your loss. I will check my stash this weekend. crying_cat_face

MarciainMD

Nov-14

judyinohio said:

It's odd, we both keep thinking we can see her out of the corner of our eyes ... like she's walking in the room or something like that. 

Yes, we went through the same thing when we lost our two girls last year.  There were times I could swear I heard claws clacking on our kitchen floor or I'd walk into a room and expect to see them lying in their favorites spots.

judyinohio

Nov-14

I guess the thought of having a small "furchild" constantly wandering around the place is a hard habit to shake, more for DH than me. She liked keeping him company after he retired eight years ago ....