Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Want to Make a Special Quilt For My DH ....   General Discussion

Started Nov-13 by judyinohio; 7390 views.
sueinIL

Dec-21

Love your background fabric!  Subtle, has a good scale, and will allow the kitties to be center stage.  Can't wait to see more!

Sue in IL

MarciainMD

Dec-21

Very nice so far!

Midkid5

Dec-21

Is it not wonderful what can be put on fabric and the ideas that are created with it. Your kitties look adorable.

Jo

Suze (casuzenn)

Dec-21

meow!!!

what a lot of fun you are going to have!

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Dec-27

You have a good start.  What did DSiIL think?  Is she a quilter?

judyinohio

Dec-27

Yes, DSIL is a quilter but she makes quilts strictly by the book ... or strictly by the pattern she purchases.

And I mean strictly

She turns out quilts that are identical to the photos used by the designer. She goes to all the quilt stores in her part of Ohio to find exactly the same fabrics. She shops online to find the perfect matches to the prints she needs to duplicate what she sees in the pattern designer's photos in the magazine article or in the pattern she has purchased at the quilt store.

THEREFORE she has very little to say about the original things I create except she will venture a comment like "I just don't understand how you can mix materials like that and have it turn out so nicely".  That is high praise coming from her. wink

Remember, she taught kindergarten for 35 years and for her everything had to be neat and tidy or else chaos would erupt in her classroom. She talks to us adults as though we are "kindy-garters" to this day ... very slowly and enunciating every word somewhat like Mr. Rogers in very slow speed. No chaos in her sewing space, either.  grinning

CC (ccase5)

Dec-27

your ex-teacher sounds a bit like Eleanor Burns. she taught children and when she began her quilt show on t.v. , she taught adults.
Cathy (cacnurse1)

Dec-28

Our way sounds like more fun.  I like clean and tidy but hard to maintain in the middle of creating.  I guess it's what you call"controlled chaos".

judyinohio

Dec-28

Our way is certainly more fun. 

When we designing our empty-nester dream house in the mid-1990s I told our architect that I wanted a "clutter room" for making my quilts. He chided me saying, "For the price you are paying me I will not build a "clutter room", I will build a studio". 

"Okay, Hans, build me a studio but I will still clutter it up with my projects." 

He grinned and we shook hands and agreed that I could clutter up his pretty studio space. The plans came back with the word "studio" in the space that became my clutter room. I call it my quilting room to make it officially mine.

Regarding DSIL, I have a sneaking suspicion that she tidies up her sewing space every afternoon when she's done working for the day. Her sewing space is visible from the eating area off of her kitchen (which is always immaculate) and I suspect that she and her spouse cannot have supper if there is anything out of place in the sewing area.  Just a hunch ...

• Edited December 28, 2019 3:20 pm  by  judyinohio
latterberry

Dec-29

Your DSIL sounds a lot like my mother.  Heaven forbid you would leave something out of place.  Her mantra was "don't put it down, put it away".  I don't remember feeling comfortable and relaxed.