Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

iron suggestions?   General Discussion

Started Nov-21 by Mel Harris (MelHarris1); 472 views.

Ok, so I am sure we've discussed it a million times, but not recently. I had a Black and Decker Light and Easy Iron, which I loved...for like a decade and a half or so. It finally is not giving me enough heat, so I went online to get a new one. The latest of same model has bad reviews, saying that it doesn't get hot enough, doesn't maintain heat. I got another with digital settings that had higher star rating...but it has a dang shutoff function after only like an hour, and it beeps intermittently to tell you it's up to temp/dropping temp or whatever. What a pain!

I need a lightweight, hot iron, that doesn't shut off on you. Set it and forget it as long as you have it on. Suggestions?

latterberry

Nov-22

I don't know what to suggest, but I agree about the auto shut off.  I hate it.  My thoughtful daughter-in-law got me a new iron for Christmas last year because she knew I liked a heavy iron but it has the shut off, and it shuts off after only a few minutes of no use.  Then you have to wait a moment for it to heat up again.  Annoying!  I got a old GE travel iron at a thrift store and I love it.  Nice and hot and no shut off.

LABFIEND

Nov-22

latterberry said:

I got a old GE travel iron at a thrift store and I love it.  

That is what I have!  In fact I have two, and they are hot and stay on!!  

judyinohio

Nov-22

I agree 100% on buying the vintage irons. They are heavy and stay hot with no nonsense from "safety features".

Maybe I'll have to check out Goodwill!

latterberry

Nov-23

I have been totally happy with the oldies from the thrift stores.  Many years ago DH thought I needed a "good" one so got me a Rowenta.  I hated it.  I was using steam then before I found that I like a dry iron better, and the crazy thing was leaking within months.  

Thanks for the feedback; I think this is to be my plan :) 

LABFIEND

Nov-23

You might want to try ebay also, or (dare I enable you!) look at  shopgoodwill.com , they have alot of stuff, but be careful, because the shipping costs can get high.  But if theprice is good enough, it might be worth it.

Good luck with your search!!

judyinohio

Nov-23

My darling little vintage iron is labelled "Fostoria" and made by McGraw Electric. I bought it on eBay for something like $10 or $12 and the shipping cost was $15.00.

I have used this little iron next to my sewing machine for at least ten years or more and I love it. It is heavy for its size and gets very hot very quickly because it has 1100 watts.  I consider it one of my luckiest finds on eBay.