Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

String Quilts   Machine Quilting Tips & Techniques

Started Nov-29 by Sandy in TX (Centergranny); 1802 views.

I’m interested in knowing if fleece with no batting would make decent backing  for lap size string quilts that have a very thin muslin as foundations. Also what type of binding? 
I found about 6 lap or a bit larger tops to finish and donate to the relief for low income and crisis families.

Opinions? Thanks!

latterberry

Nov-29

I've used fleece quite frequently in my lap or nap quilts and I like it just fine.  I just used regular cotton fabric for the binding.  Try it on the little lap quilt and see how you like it.

LABFIEND

Nov-29

I would think that would work just fine.  I have used fleece without batting for light weight quilts, the extra muslin base would replace the batting, do you need some fleece?  I have lots, could bring some down to Jonna in December if you want!!

Dee uses it all the time.  I'm sure she could give you some tips.  

Suze (casuzenn)

Nov-29

I do this all the time..most of my couch quilts are fleece backed..makes 'em nice and cozy! Plus..you don't need to actually quilt them to death since the fleece is not going to shift like batting would... 

I use quilting cotton for the binding...I do the double fold bias  binding on them..since they are quilts to be used...that gives the best wear pattern...

viola (sissly4)

Nov-29

Yes you can use fleece for the back.Just use regular cotton material for binding.

LABFIEND said:

I have lots, could bring some down to Jonna in December if you want!!

I’ll take it. What do you want in return?

Lynne, do you quilt or tie the ones with fleece? 

JulietDeltaOscar (fixin2quilt) said:

Dee uses it all the time.  I'm sure she could give you some tips.  

I know she uses it on most of her T-shirt quilts.   Did you find your blue for the lotto?

I think she uses it for almost all her quilts - especially the I SPY ones.