Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Cutting the Cord to Cable TV?   Off-Topic Chat

Started 12/16/19 by KSCarolyn; 1669 views.

Yes, I cut the cord years ago. I pay $60 for wifi internet, and $8.99/mo Netflix, $1.99/mo Hulu. I have prime because I have prime. Nothing else. My mom spends a couple hundred also and I just cannot justify it!

KSCarolyn

12/21/19

I already subscribe to Netflix and Hulu so I'm cutting the cord on 12/31.

Carolyn

tuckyquilter

12/21/19

If you aren't watching that much mainstream TV, shut it down, and have some fun.  When you call to cancel you'll LOVE the offers you'll be given. When that happened to me, I immediately yelled "SO YOU'VE BEEN CHEATING ME ALL THESE YEARS?"  The poor person on the other end almost choked. I just kept repeating that same line, and then started demanding a refund for the last 5 yrs.  LOL  It was a fun cancellation call  "for ME" anyway. 

I have Netflix, Britbox and Amazon Prime.  Folks can still watch a ton of mainstream TV on their computer at no charge, and if you have a newer TV, you can stream it to the larger screen. 

I cut TV some years back, but never had a pkg deal either. I worked for a company that insisted we sell the Pkg deal to a customer as it provided better profits in the long run. Folks were hesitant to change anything and ended up keeping all of it.  I hated even telling people about packages, to be truthful we honest folks all hated to.

I do have landline service with an old dial phone and internet. I get a retiree deal so keeping the landline is ok for me. Plus in an emergency, they have a perfect address, not some cell tower location.

Kay Ahr (KayAhr65)

12/25/19

I cut the cord around 1999.  About the time they took the quilt shows off cable.  I don't miss it.  I use an antenna and get more than enough TV.  Quilt shows are on the local educational channels or I watch on the internet.

CC (ccase5)

1/3/20

boy, i dont' want to talk to anyone with a VOIP phone. what ever that is. any lull, i start to talk and of course so does my friend or my sister. difficult to get a word in edgewise.
Judy (DJZMOM)

1/14/20

Good for you!  My DH calls various providers to question increases, extra fees and service periodically.  He too is successful getting items removed, adjusted and lowered.  I agree...  it would be better all consumers did this but unfortunately don't think their voice will be heard.  All those pesky telephone and cell phone fees (especially in CA) are added on and so many don't read those details and just blindly pay them.  In a sense, those service companies are working for us (the consumer) and we have a right to question or take our money and business elsewhere!  ihmo

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

1/14/20

While we haven't cancelled our cable TV account, I *did* look over what exactly was on our account.  I hadn't looked at it since we first set it up ages ago.   We had a bundled TV-internet-phone package that was a good deal **at the time** even though we didn't want nor use their phone package (we were using something else).  We were told that in order to get the bundled price, we needed to physically take possession of the equipment but that we didn't need to activate nor use it.  ::shrug::  So, we took the equipment but it's been in it's original packaging and tote bag all this time!

We decided that we didn't need the box on the TV in our bedroom, since we never watch TV in bed .. so that could be returned for a modest amount off our bill.

Then we discovered that the box to the TV in the family room wasn't working any longer.  We think this was a recent malfunction, as the TV had been working fine.  So, we got a new replacement box for that.

But the big news is that when we first entered the store, I was upfront with the sales rep and told him that I was interested in looking over our account with an eye to REDUCING our bill and perhaps restructuring the account.  He didn't bat an eye.

We retained the basic channel package (140 digital channels) plus a "premium" channel add-on (120 more channels) because Mr. Pirate does watch some of the channels in that premium tier.  I also verified that Starz was going to be eliminated as part of the basic channel line-up, since Starz wanted to be a separate add-on, much like HBO.  Well, the only reason I had Starz in the first place was so that I could watch Outlander!  So, I added Starz as a separate add-on.  Once Outlander stops production, I'll get rid of the add-on.  We got rid the phone component.  Their system had been upgraded since we first got it and our internet speed is now increased.

And "because we have been such a long-term, loyal customer"  ::rolls eyes:: we get the new customer, reduced rate.  Whatever.  I'll take it.

The bottom line is that our bill is now $70 LESS per month!  Holy moley!  Why didn't I think to look at this account earlier??   I just saved us $840/year!

Judy (DJZMOM)

1/14/20

Holey Moley!!!  That is just GREAT for you guys and isn't it also amazing what knowledgeable people are just blinding paying!

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

1/14/20

At first, I was kinda annoyed/miffed because .. precisely how LONG have we been paying this much "extra"?  Then, upon reflection, I realized .. why *would* a company intentionally tell you that you could pay less if your account was restructured?  If you, the customer, are happy with the service you're getting and you're not complaining about or investigating your account, why should they change anything?

I will confess that I don't pay attention to offers from Comcast and I don't even think to check back to see if we could even qualify for a better deal.  I could have been a better consumer.  Caveat emptor ... you gotta be your own best advocate.