Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

An Annoying Christmas Visitor   Off-Topic Chat

Started Dec-26 by judyinohio; 734 views.
judyinohio

Dec-26

This could be a laughable topic or a "tragic" one.  When our DS came to visit (bringing his wife and twin daughters) I had a short list of chores for him to do, things that my DH can no longer do because of his bad back.

One of those chores was to replace the light bulb in the fan that hangs over my quilting table.

This is a very long skinny LED bulb that comes two in a "blister pack". 

DS, a PhD mathematician, sets up the very tall ladder, glances around the room, reaches into my lazy Susan near Cecil Faye and (before I can stop him) grabs my sheathed Gingher shears, unsheathes them and cuts into the blister pack and grabs out a long skinny light bulb.

I shrieked out his name and he says "What?!?!" as he raises his eyebrows and climbs the ladder.

"You just used my best fabric shears to cut open a hard plastic package!"  rage  yells irate Mom to genius son. "So?" says genius son. 

Please tell me that I would have been justified in shaking him off the ladder.  LOL

• Edited December 26, 2019 10:10 am  by  judyinohio
CozyQuilts

Dec-26

Some people will never learn to leave our shears alone.  No matter what, just clueless.  persevereblush

Mishii

Dec-26

judyinohio said:

Please tell me that I would have been justified in shaking him off the ladder.

Or stabbing him with the unsheathed scissors.

bornblesse2

Dec-26

Ohhhhhh NNNNOOOO!

will they never learn?  First hint....the scissors are in a sheath!

judyinohio

Dec-26

DS used to be a fighter in the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) and probably to his mind the idea of scissors in a sheath meant "very sharp scissors" which meant they would cut through the plastic, therefore, the best scissors for the job at hand.

DS's logic was impeccable; it's a good thing his father covered his son's behind by telling me that he'll buy me new scissors for my birthday in February.  LOL  After all it was because the father has become frail in his old age that the son had to do the job of replacing the light bulb.  DH has been trained to respect scissors and DS lives in a house where his wife does not sew. DS does  any clothing repair and button replacement at their house. (I kid you not. I taught him how to sew and he has a Singer FW.)

tuckyquilter

Dec-26

Absolutely Justified... I would have even helped you.... LOL   "MEN, can't live with - Can't Play mind Games without them..

That said at least the light is now shining and bright.  Getting a good light like that is on my 2020 list of things to get done.  I cut in my garage.

I think he is a very lucky son not to have been knocked off the ladder. If they are top quality sissies they might have survived, if not I would take your hubby up on the offer to replace them. My family makes sissors jokes about my fabric sissors.

Suze (casuzenn)

Dec-26

I cannot tell a lie...I use my fabric scissors to cut most anything except wire. Of course, I DO know how to sharpen them too...so there is that...I do NOT like using them for blister packs though~~~

I bought a snipper tool just for blister packs - it keeps your hands away from that dreadfully sharp edge that comes with a blister pack (I've cut myself a couple of times too many!)..... it has cut down on using the good scissors... 

https://www.amazon.com/Zibra-ZPCOPEN-OR-Open-It-Universal-Package-Opener/dp/B000IHHOVI - perhaps if you had a set of these (or something like it - since these are currently unavailable)  on hand, he would use them instead of your good scissors! 

CC (ccase5)

Dec-26

goodness, just tell him what you want for Christmas!! or Birthday or what ever you can think of. now!! He must be taught. does the light at least work? I surely hope so for his sake.
judyinohio

Dec-26

Yes, the light works wonderfully.

I really missed it during the two months it was burned out and I'm very glad that he got the bulb replaced.