Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

I need help with HSTs   General Discussion

Started Dec-28 by sueinIL; 414 views.
sueinIL

Dec-28

I am making a quilt called Dusky Mountains, which is made entirely of  hsts.  I decided to use a cloud fabric for my background.  I dutifully cut 4 1/2" squares of landscape print and clouds, drew the center line and sewed on each side.  When I pressed them open, I realized that half of the clouds were now vertical.   I am having to throw out nearly a hundred hsts that aren't useable, at least in this quilt.   So I have made a big mistake I want to learn from.  I think any method of making multiples is now out.  Do any of you know a method or have a tip for making hsts with directional fabric?  

Thanks,

Sue in iL

sueinIL

Dec-31

Thank you, Mel!  Those were very helpful!  I am now laying every hst out on a spare bed to be sure that I get at least one that's useable out of every pair.  I just couldn't see continuing to waste all that fabric and time.  So I guess I'm taking more time, but ensuring a better outcome.  That sky fabric is the root of all evil!

Sue in IL

Judy (DJZMOM)

Jan-8

Thanks for posting those links Mel!

Judy (DJZMOM) said...

Thanks for posting those links

No problem :) I love researching things!