Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

PBS Program on Quilts   General Discussion

Started Dec-31 by judyinohio; 443 views.
judyinohio

Dec-31

This was recently broadcast on PBS and in case you missed it you can watch it on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWtboRxFtgs

Craft in America Quilts is very interesting in some parts, a bit draggy in other parts but overall I feel it is worth watching for about an hour. 

There is one quilt created by a woman who collected a jaw-dropping number of buttons and then sewed them on to a bed-sized quilt (weighing around 50 pounds when finished) that just blew my mind. 

The storage of quilts in the quilt museum in Lincoln, Nebraska is admirable. The museum respects it treasures, that's for sure.

CozyQuilts

Dec-31

Hello Judy!

I saw that the other day!  Amazing how well they treat their quilts with those pull out drawers.  And that one with all the buttons was amazing and beautiful!  Must weigh a ton with all the buttons!  I enjoyed it and it was interesting!  I wish   they would do more documentaries on quilts, very interesting indeed!

Happy New Year!

judyinohio

Dec-31

I cannot imagine the patience (or OCD behavior) required to sew down all of those buttons on that quilt top! 

It was also interesting to watch Victoria Findlay Wolfe improvising on one of her quilts. (Just about as opposite as a quilter could be from the button lady.)

MarciainMD

Dec-31

I didn't hear about this program until it had already aired, so thank you for posting the link to Youtube.  

In reply toRe: msg 1
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Dec-31

I managed to watch just the last portion of the program, where they were showing the "Gee's Bend" type of quilts.  While I do intellectually appreciate the time invested, the skill in sewing it together, and the circumstances under which they were made, I just can not appreciate that type of primitive quilt.  While I do like geometric quilts, this style simply doesn't please my eyes.  They just leave me cold.

On the other end of the abstract spectrum, while I do like some abstract layouts, I also do *not* like modern abstract.  (I'm not even sure that's the term that is used).  Generally speaking, layouts that "jangle" my eyes just aren't pleasing to me and I find it difficult to appreciate them.

I do need to look at the entire show on YouTube so I can see what else is being shown.  :-)

judyinohio

Dec-31

I sometimes wonder if a joke is being played on the audience when I can see no sign of "talent" (if that is the correct word in this case).

Something that could have been created by a six year old with no "gift", no "vision", no sense of balance or design is not my idea of an "art quilt".

That's just the curmudgeon in me coming out, isn't it?  stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

• Edited December 31, 2019 4:57 pm  by  judyinohio
sueinIL

Jan-1

Well, it must be coming out in me, too, then, Judy!  DH and I watched the show together, and he made some comment like , well it won't shred itself off the wall! Will all those "statement" quilts be appreciated when the issue is long gone?  I suppose it's much like the opposition to the Impressionists' paintings:  well, that's not art; it's just dots (or daubs) on a page!  I guess my quilts are non-representational or non-issue-specific.  Still I love the feel, the color, the process,the idea of making something that will live well beyond me.

Sue in IL

judyinohio

Jan-1

Once upon a time I wrote to Ginger Allman Davis (a highly respected polymer clay teacher and scientific expert who pooh-poohs the myths about clay work) lamenting about how I will never become a clay "artist" like those with a fine arts background. She wrote to me and said that a person can find plenty of joy in letting our  hands MAKE and a person should not fret about "art" but just enjoy the MAKING.

Therefore, I enjoy my technical skills very much.  wink

• Edited January 1, 2020 10:00 am  by  judyinohio
Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jan-1

judyinohio said:

There is one quilt created by a woman who collected a jaw-dropping number of buttons and then sewed them on to a bed-sized quilt (weighing around 50 pounds when finished) that just blew my mind. 

I will have to watch the program.  Thanks for a link.  The above adds a new meaning to a "weighted blanket".

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jan-1

judyinohio said:

person can find plenty of joy in letting our  hands MAKE and a person should not fret about "art" but just enjoy the MAKING.

Wise woman!  That is how I approach quilting.