Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Houston trip   Off-Topic Chat

Started Jan-3 by bornblesse2; 1888 views.
bornblesse2

Jan-3

Oh my gosh!  I am getting sucked into Ricks retirement volunteering!  Many of you know he went to Africa where they are building a church school near Nairobi.  Well, they found out how good of an organizer he is and that I built and run a library for our church school

upon his return, we found out there are 3 pallets of books in Houston waiting for transport to Nairobi.  Well, immediatelyRick and I realized that it makes much more sense to prep books for the new library in Houston verses Africa.....duh!

so, we have been very slowly figuring out how we could go do this soon.  Well, over the holidays we have gotten info about it.  It not 3 pallets it is 8 pallets with a rough estimate of 15000 books!

oh my....what have I gotten myself into!  The week of Jan 20 is gonna be a TOTAL wash of book overload!   Houston countdown is getting started!  

Cathy (cacnurse1)

Jan-3

You both have taken over a real challenge.  Have the books been donated?  Will you have to sort thru them and categorize them by type or subject, etc.  How long will you be in Houston?  Big job.  Maybe there will be some local help.

Suze (casuzenn)

Jan-3

wow...that sounds challenging!!

bornblesse2

Jan-3

The plans are not firm yet, except that we are going to get started.  Houston is much cheaper to get to than Africa to do this work!  The guy there is going to ask around for some help.  There is NO way we can get done in one trip.

but, we will get started.  The hotel lodging And rental car will be our greatest expense.  
we will see.....another Adventure! For us....lol!

bornblesse2

Jan-3

Yea, I got scared when I read it was Double the amount we guessed!   But, all we can do is start!

the guy in Houston is housing them part in his warehouse and some in someone else’s.  and I’m glad he is arranging the shipping and such.  But, I think he is wanting to clear the space....but he doesn’t give us much information.  It will be interesting to go and learn more!

hUge learning curve here.

LABFIEND

Jan-4

What do you have to do to the books to get them ready to ship?  And when are you going to do it?  And where is his warehouse.   I wish I could go down and help!!

bornblesse2

Jan-4

We would welcome anyone who wants to help! the pallets have to inventoried - create an excel list of the books.

bUT, we want to try to create the library codes that goon the spines of the books.  We will scan the bar codes and have programs that help us create that label, but then they get printed, attached and then taped over!

so, the library label is not the biggest part.  It’s will be a lot of manual labor and data entry!  I can send you an address Of where the one warehouse is, if you really might consider it!  It is north Houston.....how far is Houston for you?

we would welcome some help!  I think we are going to fly in and stay at a hotel. 

LABFIEND

Jan-4

I must be crazy, but my grandkids live in Humble,it is about an 8 hour drive for me.  Depending on when you would do it, I might consider going down, maybe, send me the warehouse addy, we will see!!  Manual labor i can do, data entry might be a challenge for me!!

bornblesse2

Jan-4

Patti,  even if it doesn’t work out, you have been an encouragement to us!  We have been feeling a bit overwhelmed after hearing the total books there is over double of what we expected.  
Im not worried about the data entry...there will be a ton of organizing and often someone rattling off what needs to be entered can help.  We hope to be able to scan lots of them.  There will be a huge learning curve for all of us.

5650 Guhn Road  #124. And
548 Garden Oaks Blvd
Houston, TX 77018

are the addresses given to us.  Check and see if they are anywhere near your kids!  Thanks for the encouragement that you would even consider helping us!

Suze (casuzenn)

Jan-4

I follow Debra Dixon on FB...she used to be on the About site as PickingDaisies...She is near Houston...I wonder if she could rally some folks from her church to help you?