Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Have you ever had to fix your small Rowenta?   General Discussion

Started Jan-3 by sueinIL; 1211 views.
In reply toRe: msg 11
Samsmom94

Jan-7

In case anyone is interested, Walmart carries the same Steamfast travel iron that Judy linked to for half the price. I bought one last year for taking to sew days and it works well.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Steamfast-SF-727-Travel-Mini-Steam-Iron/186719139

Cari

sueinIL

Jan-8

I think DD has that little iron.  I'll ask her what she thinks of it.  Thanks!

Sue in IL

I stopped buying the ones with folding handles for that very reason.  Broke two of them pressing too hard.  One was a B&D I had for years (1990's) and the other was the Rowenta, which didn't last more than a year.  I've decided there are no ideal irons out there.  Everytime I get excited about one, there's something ends up not great.  I have one of those little ones Judy posted and the handle gets hot right where your fingers rest.  It's a shame some company hasn't figured out how to make a good iron for quilters.  

sueinIL

Jan-21

Well, shoot!  I was going to buy that little palm-size iron from Walmart. I'm still using the little Rowenta, just treating it very gingerly.  I can see the screws where I would open it up to examine the works, but not sure I want to do that. Probably just keep using it on ITS terms.

Sue in IL

re the palm size, I bought it on line so I couldn't hold it before.  I suggest you take it out of the box and see how it fits your hand.  I still take it on trips, but I don't like it well enough to use it at home.  And just be aware there are places that get warm

sueinIL

Jan-21

I got out my regular-size iron this morning to do some long seam pressing, and I was surprised how clunky it felt.  I guess I've been using the little Rowenta a LOT since I bought it.  I must be adapting well because it only snapped my fingers once.  I still love that it stays hot and is just the right size for my wool mat.  Thanks for the info on the palm-size iron.

Sue in IL

nylaagain

Jan-27

Broke two of them the same way . Gave up on Rowenta minis.

nylaagain

Jan-27

I now have and love the one Judy linked. It is a little heavier than the Rowenta but very hot. And if you can break the handle on this one, remind me to never shake your hand.

• Edited January 27, 2020 7:44 am  by  nylaagain
nylaagain

Jan-27

Dee’s right about the round handle allowing your fingers too close to the hot top. I forgot that as my small hands and stubby fingers don’t do it often.

sueinIL

Jan-27

Did you ever take yours apart to see what's inside where the handle is anchored?  I usually don't have much courage to take apart things (except my Featherweight), but there are only 2 screws on the heel end of the Rowenta, and maybe I could see what's making the handle snap downward.  With only two screws, I don't think I'd end up with leftover parts!

Sue in IL