Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

idea for polymer clay & crafting   General Discussion

Started Jan-13 by Pirate (PIRATE_SR); 214 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jan-13

Judy ... this came across my FB feed and I thought of you.   A clever way of combining interests: quilting, polymer clay, gardening!  Think of all the different quilt blocks you could use.

"This is not a quilt but a terra-cotta pot"

CC (ccase5)

Jan-13

Ha! think of all the wonderful things you can do in clay. oh wait, you have !! so cute!
judyinohio

Jan-13

Someone had too much fun messing around with that terra cotta flower pot!  It would have to be kinda small to fit in my toaster oven but it is a very clever idea.

Thank you, Pirate, for stimulating the clay part of my brain.

Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jan-13

judyinohio said:

It would have to be kinda small to fit in my toaster oven

Now, with the proviso that I know NOTHING about polymer clay making, I actually had not thought to put the entire, finished pot into the "firing" oven.  In my mind, I was thinking of making the quilt blocks and button individually and separately.  After hardening/firing, they would then be adhered (glued? epoxied?) to the terra cot pot surface.

I understand that you'd need to form the individual pieces to the pot before firing so that they would have that curved shape afterwards, but in this manner they could be all done in your toaster oven.

However, perhaps that isn't a feasible method ....as I said, I know nothing of the procedure.

judyinohio

Jan-13

The clay needs to be supported on a "form" of some type while it is baking or else it will sag more than you want it to droop. It could be baked on the edge of a coffee cup or a drinking glass or over a shallow bowl that has the same shape as the eventual terra cotta pot.

The "zinnias" I have made for my patio flowerpots have all been baked on an overturned small glass ice cream bowl so that they have an appropriate floral "droop" to them.

Then you have to wait for it to cool to the correct temperature and gently pry it off.

What is the correct temperature?  That is a guesstimate acquired after some days and weeks of trial and error.

• Edited January 13, 2020 5:33 pm  by  judyinohio
In reply toRe: msg 1
Colene (robicole1)

Jan-14

That’s adorable!

latterberry

Jan-14

Now, that is really cute.  Good job enabling!