Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

I need your collective memory of a novel/movie   General Discussion

Started Jan-13 by sueinIL; 352 views.
sueinIL

Jan-13

I am going nuts trying to remember a book I read, probably in the '90s.  Setting was early 1900s--the family had one of the early automobiles, but there were horses as well.  I'm thinking Ohio. Main characters were a young boy about 9-10 who wore knickers and suspenders, and his slightly wacky grandma whose favorite expression was "hoo boy!" Funny, sweet story that became a movie, too. I hope someone will remember this book; I want to read it again.

Thanks, Sue in IL

sueinIL

Jan-13

Thank you for looking, but that doesn't sound right.  There wasn't any ethnic tie-in that I remember. Somebody, the grandpa, maybe, had been in a car accident and was in a wheelchair.  I wish I could remember more, but I don't have enough information to search for it myself.  So frustrating!

Sue in IL

Do you remember who was in the movie?

sueinIL

Jan-14

Hi, JDO,

Unfortunately, no.  I thought Jason Robards might have played the grandpa, but an IMDb search didn't confirm that. I was able to find and re-read another of my favorite books that someone on our board remembered:  Saving Cee Cee Hunnicut by Beth Hoffman. Holding out the same hope again!

Sue in IL

tuckyquilter

Jan-17

There are so many really good books out there to read.  I got a copy of "The Nightingale" for Christmas.  It's proving to be a very good read.  I always keep several books, of various subject matters, on my nightstand shelves. I never know until I go to bed what I feel like.  I just finished Rise of the Rocket Girls.. about the women of JPL and the young grad students who were the ones who started it.  I love Autobiographies too.  Reading is good for the soul.

latterberry

Jan-17

tuckyquilter said:

Reading is good for the soul.

Totally agree.  I read "The Nightingale" and loved it. 

MarciainMD

Jan-17

tuckyquilter said:

I got a copy of "The Nightingale" for Christmas. 

I'll have to read that.  I love all the books I've read by Kristin Hannah.