Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Another blog post - this one about my sewing area   General Discussion

Started Jan-22 by Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3); 412 views.
Pirate (PIRATE_SR)

Jan-22

Very nice, Dee!   

It really *is* so wonderful to have a dedicated room for sewing/crafting.

MarciainMD

Jan-23

Thank you for the tour and explanation of your sewing room.  No wonder you call it your happy place.  It's lovely.  For years I sewed on the kitchen table, but having to put everything away for meals kept me from sewing as much.  Once DD moved out I took over that bedroom and I have my own happy place, albeit not as pretty and organized as yours.  But I make do with what I have and am grateful that I only have to put things away when we have guests, not for every meal.  Thanks again for sharing your sewing area with us.

judyinohio

Jan-23

Marcia, your story is so typical. Most of us have to wait until at least one offspring moves out to claim an empty bedroom as a creative space. In my case I had my sewing machine in a roomy area but it was in our dark and gloomy basement near the washer, dryer and ironing board.  Oh, yeah, the furnace and hot water tank kept me company down there, too.

The week that DD left for a two year program in graduate school I donated her childhood furniture to a family leaving a women's shelter (the little girl was dancing with joy, the mother was in tears).  The next week I had a SICO wallbed installed in DD's bedroom so she would have a place to sleep when she visited. 

Then I moved my Cecil Faye and my ironing board upstairs from the basement. I bought a  collapsible cutting table from JoAnn's and I was dancing with joy myself because now I had two windows (daylight!) that made me so happy when I slaved away cutting perfectly good fabric into little pieces.  heart_eyes

• Edited January 23, 2020 8:54 am  by  judyinohio
MarciainMD

Jan-23

judyinohio said:

now I had two windows (daylight!) that made me so happy when I slaved away cutting perfectly good fabric into little pieces. 

It doesn't take much to make us quilters happy. smiley

Samsmom94

Jan-24

I love your sewing room. The organization is wonderful! You've given me a few good ideas. I've been in my new big sewing room for two years and it's still full of boxes and unpacked stuff like I just moved in.

One thing though, your Amara is a 20" machine. The Avante and the new Capri sit down machine are 18". I debated waiting for the Amara to come out or getting the Avante and decided I couldn't wait. The lady that sold me her Avante replaced it with an Amara.

Cari

Oh that is right, my memory is mush lately.  Though I measured whe I first got it.  it is not a full 4 inches larger more because the carriage frame is about 1" smaller than it could be. Still by the time you get to the end it does add up to about a full pass saved.

Glad you enjoyed the tour. I am always fiddling with something. Right now I am pleased with the stack of bins next to the machine and the fabric inserts I slipped in to hide the jumble of scraps.  It's the little things, right?

Samsmom94

Jan-24

"It's the little things, right?"

Yes it is. Getting my thread racks on the wall and fabric in my book cases in the closet was the first thing, that made me so happy. Getting all of the 3 and 4 drawer containers under the long arm and out of the way was blissfull! There's still so much work to do so if the room ever gets finished I'll be in heaven lol.

Cari

viola (sissly4)

Jan-25

You have a beautiful sewing room.I also have a sewing room.My husband enclose the patio for me..And put a glass sliding window in so I can see the rest of the patio and my flower's.

Thank you, Viola.  I enjoy it.  I remember you showing us pictures at the retreat of yours when it was completed.  I'm sure those windows make it even more enjoyable.