Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Is Anybody Making Anything??   General Discussion

Started Feb-2 by judyinohio; 941 views.
judyinohio

Feb-2

Frankly, my dears, it is tiring reading nothing but postings about Retreaters fretting about travel plans and various worries as their date for going to their Retreat in Arizona approaches. 

(I had put the thread for the Valley of the Sun Retreat on "Ignore" many, many weeks ago but apparently Delphi in its wisdom decided that I had to get back in on the action and cancelled my "Ignore" option about a week ago.  stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes)

So I'll barge in and report that I am quilting the quilt I'm making for DH, the "Cats in the Attic" creation and it's giving me fits. I'm clumsy with Dee's special side clamps (that are not clamps but pinned-on devices) and some of the cut-out fused cats are coming unfused because they are so skinny and flimsy.  Two of them have gotten tangled with Lily Aurora's hopping foot and that means very slow and tedious untangling. Grrrrr ....

As I mutter to myself while working on this special quilt I tell Misty (who is no longer here) that her memory quilt is as much of a nuisance as she was.

I'm half-way through the quilting work. I look forward to the binding.

Any other stay-at-homes doing any quilting work??  relaxed

CC (ccase5)

Feb-2

I am trying to finish quilting a quilt from 2014!! will that do? making two pillow covers to match so i can use two pillows i had on the sofa once in awhile and not have to buy pillow forms. i have little storage space, especially for pillows!
then another larger quilt is on my cutting table with pins in it waiting for quilting. I hate doing large quilts on my machine. i won all the blocks on a forum here. yea? yes ,yea. i was pleased. It's just me that is slow getting things done.
MarciainMD

Feb-2

I'm sorry your special kitty quilt is giving you problems.  I wonder if Misty is looking down and laughing.

I have been working on small projects for our quilt guild's $10 and under table which will be at our quilt show this April.  

A friend had given me two Christmas napkins that she had made and DH thought it would be fun to have napkins for each month.  We've used cloth napkins for years but I haven't made any holiday or seasonal ones.  So we had light blue with white snowflakes for January and now we're using pink with red and white hearts.  I've been going through my stash to see if I have month-appropriate fabrics and I do have some, but I will have to look for something for March.  Maybe kites if I can find it. 

Now I've just started a quilt for a friend who has a black kitty named Noire whom he adores.  It's a quick and simple pattern using 9-patches alternated with squares of black outlined cats on white background.  All the 9-patches are made.  The fabric arrived Wednesday and is now washed and awaiting the iron and rotary cutter.  It should make up pretty quickly.  After that I want to start a twin size quilt for my DGS who is moving into a twin bed (with railings).  Such a big boy now!

So I am keeping pretty busy.  This Wednesday is my 8 week post surgery check up on my second replacement and then I'm hopefully done with doctor appointments for a while.  I hope.

In reply toRe: msg 3
CozyQuilts

Feb-2

Hello Marcia

I haven't done much sewing as I have been down with the flu for most of January.   Finally feeling better and plan to do some sewing but first I need to clean in there so I can find what I need to work on!  Not much else is happening here. 

Misha (MISHAMISHA)

Feb-2

I'm pretty sure I've seen you post occasionally in the retreat/VOS threads which is why you start to get notifications, no doubt.

Regarding the lack of other posting, the forum just isn't what it used to be. Janet is not able to put up new patterns/content for us at this time due to health reasons. People don't use forums to chat as much as they did before social media. They get a lot more reaction (and faster) from a FB group of thousands than a forum with only a few regular members. Our FB group is not very active, but there are thousands of others, literally. No need for you to remind us about how you don't use FB, we know.

judyinohio

Feb-2

I tried posting on the Valley of the Sun thread but gave up. Too many in jokes that I didn't understand and thus I felt left out.

I also tried posting on the Retreat thread the year that  you had a "challenge" with a specific piece of fabric and opened it to non-Retreaters ... I love fabric challenges. But again, too many in jokes.

Don't understand what happened this year when my "Ignore" suddenly was dropped and was itself ignored.

They get a lot more reaction (and faster) from a FB group of thousands than a forum with only a few regular members.

A FB group of thousands sounds really, really friendly. (Where's that sarcasm font when I need it? stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye)

I'll stay here until we all die off. (Again, need the sarcasm font.)

5dogmom (CRISR5)

Feb-2

My sewing room is utterly deconstructed at the moment for deep cleaning.  I'll be putting it back together and sorting through books (hopefully putting some into give-away boxes) once the bookends I ordered from Amazon arrive mid-week.  The sewing machine is in the shop for annual maintenance and needle threader repair/replacement.  That feature seems to break every time I look at it cross-eyed.  I tried to get along without it for a while, but my "mature" eyesight has overruled me.

For evening handwork projects I have a few counted cross-stitch and embroidery projects I rotate working on.  It looks like a lot of those are Christmas related at the moment.  That helps me keep Christmas in my heart all year long.

Cris in MT

MarciainMD

Feb-2

CozyQuilts said:

Finally feeling better

I'm glad you're feeling better!  How awful that the bug lasted so long.

CozyQuilts

Feb-2

It kept going back and forth between Hubby and  me and the grandkids who started it all.   Thank goodness it is over with now.  

I'm cleaning out closets today and then plan to either dump or donate what I no longer want.  Almost done with the hall, and then to my closet.  What a mess that is.  Leaving Friday morning to visit my sisters in Camino, CA for a few days.  There's a quilt show in Folsom and then we plan to go see Cirque deSoleil in Sacramento.  Very exciting!  That's the main reason I'm cleaning my closet so I can find my clothes.   Maybe this afternoon I will get some sewing in.

I hope that your cat quilt stops giving you problems.  Sounds like Misty is playing still!  Take care.

judyinohio

Feb-2

CozyQuilts said:

Sounds like Misty is playing still!

That's it!!  She's being her rascall-y self even though she's not here anymore!

I've learned to plan ahead and check to see if there's any chance of a fused piece's edge getting loose and if there is I use a teensy smidge of fabric glue to tack it down. I just had to learn the hard way to plan ahead ... kind of looking ahead for potholes in the road.