Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Coffee Talk - General Chit Chat    Off-Topic Chat

Started Feb-2 by Misha (MISHAMISHA); 15072 views.
latterberry

Mar-1

I read "The Nightingale" a few years ago and loved it. Her "Winter Garden" was very good too. You might also like "The Lilac Girls" by Martha Kelly.  Learned a lot about WWII.

Lilac Girls just got auto-checked out for me (where I'd put on reserve) yesterday!!!

Hannah...they start to sound alike after a bit, like many authors, but I enjoy the stories. I particularly like historical fiction with a lot of well researched detail...learning while enjoying is a good deal!

latterberry

Mar-1

I thought the same thing about Hannah.  Nightingale was different, but the others were too much alike.  Boy meets girl, drama, etc....  If you don't read them close together, I guess they would be good.  You will like Lilac girls.  It starts out a little confusing but all ties together and is good.  

In reply toRe: msg 239
sueinIL

Mar-1

Forgot to pass along my most recent reads:  I started with The Gown by Jennifer  Robson.  It's about the group of women who made Elizabeth II's wedding gown.  By hand.    Then I started to read others of her books  Good Night from London, Moonlight over Paris, Somewhere over France, After the War is Over.

They take place during WWI.  If you've seen 1917 and enjoyed it, you will love these books.  Nurses, doctors, journalists, ... all doing their jobs in the midst of a horrific war.  The detail in her books is fantastic.  You really do live with these characters for the duration of the book.  Highly recommend if you love history and great stories.

Sue in IL

tuckyquilter

Mar-1

I will add both to my Book List. I love documentary type books etc.  and I love History.  A friend of mine lists all the books he reads in a File on his Facebook page.  His reading speed puts me to shame.  He reads a lot of historical biography/autobiography.  He does this between ironman races and being in court.  LOL 

Mark is a whirlwind of energy. Just finished an Ironman over in Thailand.  In his working world, he is a Constitutional Election Law lawyer.  Great fellow.

MarciainMD

Mar-1

Ami_Quilts (sewingupasto) said:

DH says likely we are still here is because his bro loves our dog so much.

I believe that!  It will be interesting to learn if he gets a dog himself when you move out.

MarciainMD

Mar-1

Thank you Judy!  Her name is Sophie.  I'll post a photo once I get some transferred to my laptop.  I don't post from my phone.

MarciainMD

Mar-1

5dogmom (CRISR5) said:

Again, I'm glad for you and the newbie girl!

Thank you Chris.  She has gotten better with commands since I first posted about her.  She seems eager to please.  I love that she loves to cuddle.

MarciainMD

Mar-1

Her name is Sophie.  She's around 3 years old and is said to be a border collie/corgi mix.  Whatever she is, she's gorgeous.  She has border collie markings with short hair and pale blue eyes.  She's smaller than a border collie.  I don't really see any corgi in her.  I'll post a photo soon.

MarciainMD

Mar-1

Cathy (cacnurse1) said:

She's my "service dog" w/o the benefits.

Good for Maggie for raising the alarm twice!  It feels so good to have a dog with us again.