Online Quilting Guild

Hosted by Janet Wickell (janma)|ScrapQuilts.com

Welcome to our free quilting forum, the Online Quilting Guild, where you can share ideas about quilting, swap fabrics and other projects, and chat with quilters worldwide.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Coffee Talk - General Chit Chat    Off-Topic Chat

Started 2/2/20 by Misha (MISHAMISHA); 52807 views.
Cathy (cacnurse1)

7/20/20

I make the cornmeal mush with boiling water and a little salt and then put it in a bread pan in the refrigerator over night.  In the morning pop it out, slice it, and fry it in margarine.  I used to use bacon grease but this is healthier(as if you could make this healthy).  Mrs Butterworth is my choice of syrup.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

7/20/20

We put hard wood in the master bedroom of out last house.  It did scratch some from the dogs.  There was laminate in the house that we bought.  It's Mannington and sure looks like wood.  With either, you have to be careful about any water on it.  We clean ours with a little more than damp mop.  It is softer on the feet because it has some thin cushioning put underneath it.

Cathy (cacnurse1)

7/20/20

Pirate (PIRATE_SR) said:

Paradigm Water Proof  Flooring.

I like the advantages of this flooring.    If we were replacing flooring, I would look into this.

I have made fried grits the same way - so yummy!  

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3)

7/20/20

I think we've gone back to tile.  We originally wanted tile that looks like Santa Fe brick floors (we have it in our addition but can't find it any more) so we were thinking of wood.  But the entire point of this exercise to LOW MAINTENANCE.  So now we're looking at the wood look tile.  I'm still holding out hope we'll find the brick look.

I had them growing up and didn't like em cause I was always being yelled at to have shoes because of the splinters, and having to wax and buff them (tho that was fun...dragging my baby sis around on a long rag)! However, as a grown woman, most people have better coated floors, and no issues. I like them more. It's easy to sweep, etc.

tuckyquilter

7/22/20

I have tile on my ground floor, which is perfect for cleaning up after meals and my sewing strings etc.  

I am getting Shaw wood looking Vinyl Plank flooring for the upstairs & stairwell, in not to long a time. I've picked out the color, the size 7" x 48", got a contractor too.  Only thing left is for my daughter in law to speak with the contractor and get the stuff shipped to him. She sadly can't send it direct to me as she doesn't do retail, only commercial.  She is giving me her discount so that is a savings for sure. I hate caret with a passion. 

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3)

7/22/20

actually that is perfect - your situation with animals is similar to my own.  Curious did your larger ones dogs any problems with the wood look ceramic?  That's part of why I was thinking the brick, more grout less slipping.  But also harder to keep clean.  Dh is really liking the woodlook ceramic with minimal grout.  He found some with "slip ratings" acceptable for wet areas, he thinks that will help the dogs.

Mishii

7/22/20

Dee in TX (DBRADFOR3) said:

Curious did your larger ones dogs any problems with the wood look ceramic? 

None at all.  They aren't slick tile....there is a bit of texture to them.  Not so much to trap dirt, but even wet they weren't slippery.  Or maybe my dogs were so old that they didn't walk fast enough to slip.  One time my cow walked in and her hind legs slipped and she fell down.  On the bright side, another time Pita intentionally walked the cow through the house as a shortcut and she pooped.  Very easy clean up for him.  Days of bitching by me.  Not sure if it was enough of a time saver for him to be worth it.  But another mark in the durability of the floor column!

Moral of the story:  Don't let your cow walk on your tile floors, it is difficult for them. Dogs seem to be ok.

Suze (casuzenn)

7/23/20

Mishii said:

Moral of the story:  Don't let your cow walk on your tile floors, it is difficult for them. Dogs seem to be ok.

hahahahahaha